In our time God’s miraculous creation of the universe in six days is debunked as ‘myth.’ By whom? The answer is found in an event that happened thousands of years ago, described in Genesis 3:1-7. Seven verses out of thousands in the Bible reveal the mastermind behind all the criticism of God’s Word and creation work.
# The talking serpent
- Genesis 3 relates the conversation between a talking serpent and Eve, the wife of Adam. The serpent asked Eve a very pointed question, ‘Did God really say…?’
- Who was that serpent? All 66 books of Scripture are necessary to complete the picture of God’s plan. So we discover the serpent’s identity from other parts of the Bible.
# The serpent’s identity
- Scripture reports that the serpent started off in heaven as a created archangel. He rebelled against God’s authority and influenced a third of the angels to join him. The result was that, ‘…there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. That great dragon was hurled down – that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled down to earth, and his angels with him…. He is filled with fury, because he knows his time is short.’ 1
- Thus the book of Revelation (last of God’s revelation) teaches that Satan opposed God, fought against His angels, and lost the fight. Then he established his kingdom of darkness. 2 His aim is to lead the whole world astray from knowledge of God’s goal to establish an eternal Kingdom.
- John 8:44 summarises the devil’s character, ‘He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.’
# The prince of this world
- When Eve obeyed Satan instead of God, Satan usurped Adam’s right to rule. Thus Satan became the prince of this world. 3 As ruler and prince of this world, Satan has the means to mobilise the media against God.
- The question, ‘Did God really say…?’ is one of his main propaganda themes. Translated it means, ‘Can we trust that the Bible is the pure Word of God?’
As we continue to discuss Genesis 1 (Creation by God), we need to keep in mind that there is an alternative version that is continually presented to us (creation by random chance and luck). It comes in various forms, but boils down to a question from the prince of this world: ‘Did God really create the heavens and the earth in six days? Don’t you know that it is scientifically impossible and that everything evolved? Are you going to believe science or the old fashioned Bible? Come on, you cannot be that dum?’
- Revelation 12: 7-9 and 12c
- Matthew 12:26
- John 12:11, 14:30,16:11; Ephesians 2:2; 1 John 5:19