Scripture clearly outlines a chain of events that are dependent on God as the Creator of the heavens and the earth in 6 days. It is only because God is the all-powerful Creator that He could steer history towards the big benefits He promised, in the following way:
Creation, Fall and Promise of Restoration
- God created the garden of Eden. He put Adam and his wife there and allowed the serpent, the devil, to test their loyalty and love for God.
- Adam failed and both he and his wife, Eve, were expelled from the Garden so that they would not live forever in their fallen state.
- At the same time, the omnipotent Creator promised a Saviour to restore them, ‘…He [the coming Messiah] will crush the head [of that ancient serpent, called the devil, or Satan].’ 1 The work of the Messiah would be to bring anyone who desires it, back to Eden. Eden is a type of the heavenly Kingdom. By the work of the promised Messiah people will once again have the blessed relationship with the Father and walk and talk with Him as they did in the garden.
The all-powerful Creator steered history to accomplish the goal of Genesis 3:15.
- God called Abraham (to be the father of the eventual Jewish nation) and promised him that he will be a blessing to the whole world (it happened through his offspring, Jesus). 2
- God promised king David that He will establish one of his offspring to rule eternally (it would be Jesus). 3
The momentous event to fulfil Genesis 3:15 arrived.
- The angel Gabriel went to Nazareth and announced to a virgin called Mary, ‘Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favour with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to name Him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David, and He will reign over the house of Jacob for ever; His Kingdom will never end.’ 4
- Only because God is the Creator, could the angel tell Mary, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the Holy One to be born will be called the Son of God.’ 5
- Through the ages people scoffed at the idea of a virginal conception. They forget that the Most High showed His omnipotence in the six days creation of the universe.
- The resurrection of Jesus was only possible because God is the omnipotent Creator of Genesis 1.
- There was a titanic clash between God and the ancient serpent to prevent the resurrection of Jesus, but Scripture shows God’s superior strength, ‘That power is like the working of His mighty strength, which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.’ 6
The arrival of the Holy Spirit empowers believers
- John the Baptist promised, ‘He [Jesus] will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.’ 7 The authority God the Father gave to God the Son, Jesus, after His accession, is the reason we can be baptised with God the Holy Spirit. He enables us to learn to live in victory over the serpent’s lies and accusations.
Jesus’ omnipotence as Creator and Saviour finishes God’s plan.
- Jesus not only forgives our sins when we repent. The New Testament tells us of His omnipotence as Creator. 8
- The book of Revelation shows how Jesus wraps up this present creation on our behalf. It begins with a magnificent scene in Revelation 5. A mighty angel asks in a loud voice, ‘who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?’ The scroll sets the end of this creation in motion and therefore represents our future inheritance, the new heavens and earth.
- Apparently there is nobody worthy to open the scroll. The tragedy of it struck the disciple John and he cried his heart out. Then, “…one of the elders said to me, ‘Do not weep! See, the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.’ 9
The promise of Genesis 3:15 is finally fulfilled.
- In Revelation 6-8 Jesus opens the seals, the trumpets and the bowls that are necessary to establish God’s Kingdom on earth. Only then can the glorious New heavens and earth, the New Jerusalem, the Bridegroom and the Bride’s banquet, and the eternal reign of peace, finally come. At last Satan is completely crushed and banished to the lake of burning sulphur where he will be tortured for ever.
- Just imagine this glorious scene! ‘Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb…. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and His servants [we, the faithful followers of Jesus, resurrected and renewed] will serve Him. They will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads.’ 10
All this is only possible because the message from Genesis 1 rings loud and clear: God is powerful, He promises (speaks) and He fulfils. Cut Genesis 1 out of the Bible, and you lose the rest of the revelation of Scripture. Without God, the Omnipotent Creator, there is no power to do what needs to be done. Only God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit who were all involved in the six days creation event, have the power to see that what God promised, will come to pass.
- Genesis 3:15, Revelation 12:9
- Genesis 12:2-3
- 2 Samuel 7:12-16
- Luke 1:30-33
- Luke 1:35
- Ephesians 1:19-21
- Luke 3:16
- John 1:1; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:2
- Revelation 5:5
- Revelation 22:1,3,4
As we look at the news, we understand that we live in strange times. It is a time in which leaders are deposed and wars and coups abound. Nations are restless, people riot, things happen at alarming speed, et cetera.
We want to concentrate on one strange aspect of our times.
It concerns a certain book, called the Bible. That book tells us there is an Almighty God.
- Yet the world says that God is a myth (think Richard Dawkins).
- They tell us the Bible is ‘a product of man, not of God’ (think Dan Brown and The DaVinci Code).
- They tell us the writers of the Bible were backwoodsmen who were uneducated and unscientific (think Richard Dawkins again and many of God’s enemies).
- They tell us the Bible is just another book among the religions of the world. Therefore it is of no consequence. We can all do without that Cosmic Tyrant, God (think atheists and other haters of the Bible).
Yet, and here is the anomaly.
- The very first verse in the Bible, Genesis 1:1, says, ‘In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.’ Now, if the Bible is just a book, and God a myth who only gives Christians a crutch, why did a ‘cottage industry’ of magnificent size spring up around this verse?
- This ‘cottage industry’s’ sole intent and purpose is to disprove that verse. It is the ‘evolution industry’ with its massive investment in writers, researchers, laboratories, news media, science journals, education laws, and many others.
- Most people are aware of this massive effort to undo the first verse of the Bible.
The question we want to answer is, what is behind it all?
Who is desperate enough to convince people that:
They are just evolved apes that developed from an unknown ape-like ancestor?
- They have to accept that there is no life after death. They should not even question it. Their genes are those of an evolved animal, so when they die that is also the end of them.
- They don’t have a free will to make the choice the Bible presents. Yet free will is permissible when they decide where to work, what clothes to wear, food to eat, or whatever.
Genesis 1:1 is even offensive in the theological world, the Church.
- Many, many followers of Jesus side with the world and claim that Genesis 1 is nonsense. There is no way that God created in six days. It happened by chance over billions of years.
- The question is why would Christians deny this clear demonstration of God’s omnipotence and wisdom?
Why is Genesis 1:1 so important that there is so much effort to disprove it?
- It is the best proof that there is a ruler over the world who hates God. He is called the deceiver, ‘The great dragon was hurled down – that ancient serpent [Genesis 3:1] called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.’ 1
- Here on earth, the devil and his angels oppose God’s plan. Ephesians 6:12 says, ‘For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, agains the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.’
If God was not powerful enough to create the first universe in 6 days,
- There can be no new heavens and earth, ‘But in keeping with His promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.’ 2
- There is no hope that Revelation 21-22 can be true. Then the Bible’s message of eternal bliss and happiness in God’s presence, is ‘a pie in the sky.’
- There can be no big bang to end this present creation and usher in the new heaven and earth, as described in 2 Peter 3:10, ‘But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.’
- There can be no cosmic catastrophes, as in Revelation 8:6-13. Hail and fire mixed with blood will be hurled on earth, a huge blazing mountain will be thrown into the sea, a blazing star will fall on a third of the rivers and springs of water and a third of the sun, moon and stars will be darkened.
The ruler of this world, the devil, knows God’s power and plans for an eternal Kingdom very well. He lost his opportunity to be part of it. So he wants as many people as possible to follow his disastrous way. To achieve that he attacks the central core of Scripture – God’s omnipotence to create the foundation of what will eventually be the new heavens and earth.
- Revelation 12:9
- 2 Peter 3:13
The resurrection of Jesus has been and will always be questioned. That is easy to understand: the ruler of the world, the devil,1 does not want people to know that he lost the battle against Jesus. He does not want people to understand clearly that with the resurrection, God’s plan of an eternal Kingdom of Peace is a given, it is guaranteed, it will come to pass.
The new heaven and earth
We notice in Revelation 5 that only the resurrected Jesus could open the seals that will lead to the new heaven and earth. Jesus’ resurrection is also the guarantee that we will be resurrected into new bodies and live eternally with our Lord. Thus the resurrection is a huge problem and threat to the devil’s attempts to deceive the whole world.
The spread of the Gospel
There are many explanations why the resurrection is true. One is the spread of the Gospel throughout the world (without the sword). This could not have happened if Jesus was not resurrected. The disciples were on their way back to secular work, when Jesus appeared and demonstrated He is alive and will return to His Father. Empowered by the Holy Spirit they and subsequently other followers of Jesus, filled the earth with the Good News.
The breath of life
- There is another reason why we can trust the resurrection. In Genesis 2 we read how God formed the first man from dust. What is dust other than atoms? God combined the atoms and then breathed life into the dust ‘statue.’ God has the ability to breathe life into lifeless atoms. This life giving ability is naturally decried by unbelievers.
- Since they mostly believe in evolution, they believe that life came from dead, non-living atoms. The problem is that there is no scientific evidence for it. Millions have been spent, and many researchers are kept busy to prove that life appeared on the planet in natural ways. All the efforts lead to nothing. To give life to the dead belongs only to our Lord God Almighty and His glorious Son, Jesus.
- What does God’s life giving ability have to do with the resurrection? If God could fashion a dust or clay image of a man, and breathe life into it, why can’t He breathe life into a dead body? He did it with Lazarus.2 He did it with the son of the Shunamite woman. 3 Jesus raised the widow of Nain’s only son.
- It is obvious that resurrection is easy for God. The only reason God exerted all His might 4 is that the devil and his demons fought till the last to prevent it. They lost and God won. Hallelujah!
- Jesus is the Creator.
- God is the Creator.
They both have the ability to resurrect. The resurrection of Jesus makes perfect sense right from Genesis 1&2.
- 1 John 5:19b
- John 11
- 2 Kings 4
- Ephesians 1:19-23