Why fear hell?
There are people who claim that God will not throw anybody in hell because He is a loving God. (See ‘Did God plan hell for people’) The fact is that this wonderful loving God made provision for an escape route from hell.
We have a clear example in the life of Noah.
- God told him to build the ark, since His plan was to flood the whole earth and destroy all ungodly people. Noah and his sons took about 70 years to finish the ark.
- It is impossible that people did not enquire why Noah built the ark. He was probably the butt of many jokes: the old man builds a boat in the middle of nowhere because God will flood the whole earth with water. Ha-ha!
- Nobody believed him and asked to join him in the ark and be saved. So when the flood came everyone except Noah and his family perished. People had ample time to heed his warnings because 2 Peter 2:5 calls Noah a ‘preacher of righteousness.’
Jesus is the Redeemer, the Ark of Salvation,
‘But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ, even when we were dead in transgressions — it is by grace you have been saved.’ Ephesians 2:4-5
So true, so wonderful — by grace Jesus saves from eternal hell. It is free for all who believe it and will call on the Lord. Nobody is excluded.
God did what He could to save sinners. Yet there will be those who will spend eternity in hell.
- It is not because of a lack of God’s love.
- It is because they deliberately rejected God’s grace and mercy in Jesus.