One of the things that regularly tripped me up in my walk with God, was what I call my ‘shivery faith.’ Every time I came across a book that purports to ‘prove’ the Bible is rubbish, or somebody claims this or that should not be in the Bible, or what some ancient civilisation thought about ‘gods,’ or that Paul’s letters are nonsense, I literally shivered. Doubt gripped me – I used to ask myself if I am wasting my time with the Bible and God? But, with time I learned something very interesting.
# Why would an old book get so much attention?
- The Bible is an old book. The first book, Genesis, was written about 1400 BC (before Christ). The last book, Revelation, was written before 100 AD (after Christ) and the other 64 books were written between those dates.
- It struck me as odd: why does such an old book still get so much attention? The Bible is at least 2,000 years old and belongs in a museum. Only historians, linguists and others interested in the distant past should study it.
- Yet the stream of anti-Bible propaganda knows no end, even now in 2019.
# The war against the Word gave me faith.
- The Bible teaches that Satan is the ruler of the world system. 1 He influences people against God and the Bible.
- I understood that the attacks and ‘war’ against the Bible prove that it is true, relevant and important. God is alive and well.
- Now I rejoice, even when people blaspheme God, slander the Bible and curse Christians.2 If the Bible was just a book of fiction, nobody would say a word about it.
I can say, in a sense, that the world with its actions and agenda against the Bible, convinced me that my faith rests on a solid foundation. No longer do I fear or shiver. A strong faith in the immovable Rock, Jesus, and His precious Book, the Bible, has replaced it.
- 1John 5:19b; John 14:30
- Mathew 5:11-12