As I sat and pondered the situation in our country with its turmoil, I considered what I would do if a throng of people arrived and told me to leave my house and possessions immediately. They commanded that I am only allowed to take one article along. What would I take? After many years of thinking and reading about life, my choice would be my Bible. You may ask, why the Bible? Why not a warm jacket, or some precious item?
# The Bible is truth.
- Jesus is the Word of God, (Revelation 19:13) and He says in John 14:6, ‘I am the Way and the Truth and the Life.’
- Without going into too many details, there is a statement in Revelation 21:5b, that gives us an indication of the truth of the Bible, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.’
# God the Owner of the universe speaks with authority.
- His words are like those of the owner of any business: they carry weight and are applicable to everyone in the firm. Similarly God is omniscient and holy. He speaks only truth and all people are called to belong to Him. For those without Bibles, He gave them a conscience, and creation also testifies about Him.
# The Bible ‘published’ over a long time
- The Bible is an old book (about 2,300 years old). It took a very long time to be ‘published.’ From the first book, Genesis (written around 1400 BC), till the last book, Revelation (written around 70 AD), was a period of about 1,500 years.
- To help us understand it better, let’s say Genesis was written in 500 AD. Then Revelation would be finished in 2000 AD. Think about the changes that occurred during those ages. World powers came and went. There were social changes, different fashions, great advancements in industry and science, et cetera.
- Yet, because the Holy Spirit inspired the writers who lived in different times in history, they all had one theme. It is God’s Kingdom, and the role of His Son Jesus in it. What a miracle!
The Bible is a super special book, ‘The law from Your mouth [the Bible, God’s Word] is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.’ Psalm 119:72 Just the right treasure for a pilgrim in this life.