God’s Word has always been the ‘Mother of all Bombs (MOAB).’ When a follower of Jesus uses it in prayer, it is deadly, accurate and terrifying in its effectiveness. But, the enemy knows that. So he devised a strategy to defuse it (to destroy the ‘explosive’ element in the bomb).
# The explosive power of God’s Word
- The reason the Bible has an explosive element is that God’s Word contains the decisive decrees of the Owner and Ruler of the Universe. His words are the final authority in any situation.
- When we pray Scripture verses into a problem the results are guaranteed. ‘The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.’ 1
- For example, ‘Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.’ 2 The Old Testament background is, “…Elijah… said to Ahab, ‘As the Lord, the God of Israel, lives, whom I serve, there will be neither dew nor rain in the next few years except at my word.’” 3
- Then he proclaimed God’s words again: “After a long time, in the third year, the word of the Lord came to Elijah: ‘Go and present yourself to Ahab, and I will send rain on the land.’” 4 He believed God so ‘Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.’ 5 Elijah’s prayers were based on God’s word, as we base our prayers on what God says in the Bible.
# The evil one’s strategy
- The devil knows how to ‘destroy’ the power of the Bible. His previous attempts through the ages to destroy the Bible physically, all failed. He can however, like in the case with Eve, sow doubt about God’s Word.
- That means we need to watch out for doubting theologians and ministers, books written by apostates that deride God, and programs and websites that malign the Bible.
# Examples of the devil’s ‘arguments’ that sow doubt:
- The creation account is fiction and not part of Scripture.
- The world-wide flood is a fairy tale.
- Matthew and Luke copied from Mark, so they are just a product of men.
- 2 Peter was not written by Peter, Paul did not write this or that letter, et cetera.
- The resurrection is impossible.
- Miracles are impossible.
How should we react to the devil’s strategy? Remember that the devil wages this war against the Bible because it is so powerful and effective. What a glory to have such a powerful weapon to enjoy and employ in prayer! And God wants us to pray and use it without ceasing.
- James 5:16b
- James 5:17
- 1 Kings 17:1
- 1 Kings 18:1
- James 5:18
It is always better to trust Scripture in stead of man’s fallible opinion.
Many believers get mixed up by the propaganda of the world that evolution, the big bang, et cetera is scientific. There are even theologians and ministers of the Word that teach that the God of the Bible created through the process of evolution over millions of years (theistic evolution). Inevitably it affects one’s faith in the authority of Scripture (if Genesis 1 is not true, why believe the rest of the Bible).
# The authority of Scripture
- God, in His wisdom, gave us only one revelation of Himself – the Bible. It contains everything we need to know about God and His Kingdom. It is the manual for how to live this life and to inherit eternal life.
- There is not one verse in the Bible that gives people the right to change, take away from, or add to God’s Book. On the contrary, ’All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever.’ 1 God’s Word stands, even as people come and go.
# The character of God
- The Bible (the Word of God, or Scripture) reveals the character of God. Scripture is very clear that the God of the Bible is the Creator of the heavens and the earth in six twenty-four hour days. 2
- To change the omnipotent Creator God into an onlooking ‘God’ who trusted that all He planned would evolve randomly and naturally over billions of years, is a direct assault on the character of God.
# Some logical thinking
Scripture is not a book that is forced upon a person. One is free to accept or reject it, take it or leave it. If theistic evolutionists are not happy with the Bible and its account of the six-day-creation-God, there is no pressure on them to remain in the Christian camp. Even Jesus did not call back the disciples who left Him. 3
The devil, who leads the whole world astray, was originally in God’s employ. 4 He knows all about God and His plans. He knows the authority of the Word of God. That is the reason why he influences some theologians and preachers to chop and change the Bible. It is always better to trust Scripture in stead of man’s fallible opinion.
- 1 Peter 1:24-25, quoted from Isaiah 40:6-8
- Genesis 1, Exodus 20:11
- John 6:60-67
- Revelation 12:9
The world, by creating a famine of the Word, teaches one thing: we can trust Scripture.
It is encouraging to see how relevant the Word of God is in our times. Many people think the Bible is just a book. It is outdated and no longer relevant for the 21st century. So why read it?
Yet the writings of one of the Old Testament prophets, Amos, show how relevant the Bible is still today.
Amos, inspired by the Holy Spirit, wrote around 750BC, ’The days are coming, declares the Sovereign Lord, when I will send a famine through the land – not a famine of food or a thirst for water – but a famine of hearing the words of the Lord. Men will stagger from sea to sea and wander from north to east, searching for the word of the Lord, but they will not find it.’ 1
# What does a famine of the Word mean?
To understand it, let us look at what happens in our time:
- Evolution. It basically means that nothing in this world was created, because it all evolved. If that is true, the Bible is no longer relevant, since the first book, Genesis, tells us God is the Creator. If Genesis 1 is not true, why would the rest be true? So discard the Bible and create a famine of the Word.
- Anti-God organisations. There are many organisations like the Freedom From Religion Foundation. What does Dan Barker and his people want? They claim to separate state and religion. Yet underneath all these organisations are a desire to expel the Bible from society to create a famine of the Word.
- Liberal theologians. Many liberal theologians like Bart Ehrman specialise in pointing out flaws in Scripture. If the Word of God is so unreliable, who would want to take to heart what is written in it? Another famine of the Word.
- Liberal media. What about the liberal media that is so hard at work to teach people to despise the Word of God? Famine of the Word, that is what is at stake.
# The design behind the creation of a famine of the Word
The devil, God’s enemy, is always planning ways to devour people and to trap them. 2 He can easily trap people if they know nothing about him or his desire to lead people to hell. He feeds on the ignorance created by a famine of the Word.
2,700 Years after Amos penned down the words of God, we see a famine of the Word in much of the world around us. God’s Word proves itself relevant and true. The world, by creating a famine of the Word, teaches one thing: we can trust Scripture.
- Amos 8:11-12
- Peter 5:8 and 2 Timothy 2:26