A theistic evolutionist is someone who believes Genesis 1 is wrong, but Revelation 21-22 is true (or hopes it is true). There are a few differences and similarities in the two creations in those chapters:
- One is in the past. The other is in the future.
- One is temporary and decays. The other is eternal and will never decay.
- Both accounts are found only in Scripture. The one without the other makes no sense, since Genesis 1 is the ‘forerunner’ of Revelation 21-22.
- Both chapters are only important to believers in Jesus. Non-believers have no interest in who God is or what He plans.
The theistic evolutionist uses his ‘science’ to adjust or change Genesis 1. Since science consists of testable, observable and repeatable experiments, neither Genesis 1 nor Revelation 21-22 can ever be tested by science.
What the theistic evolutionist understands by ‘science’ is evolution. Evolution rejects the Genesis 1 account of creation and replaces it with speculations about the natural origin of life. The big bang and ‘mindless molecules to man’ events over billions of years is the creator for the theistic evolutionist. Believing God created by evolution is the same as saying that God had nothing to do with creation, since all evolutionary happenings have to do with chance, not design.
Only an omnipotent God could be the cause of the following:
- The first heaven and earth will be replaced, because it will be destroyed by a massive ‘big bang fire.’ 1
- The new earth will have no sea.
- There will be a Holy City coming down out of heaven. NB! Some people think it is metaphorical. If that is true, we might as well assume that the whole Revelation 21-22 is metaphorical. Then our faith is useless and a waste of time. As it is, the Bible is truth, and we can confidently look forward to the New Jerusalem.
- People will have new incorruptible bodies.
- Fruit trees will bear every month, and their leaves will be for the healing of the nations.
Revelation 21-22 will become a reality because of an omnipotent Creator God. So if God is the only possible cause for Revelation 21-22, why can’t He be the only cause for Genesis 1? Let us look at some logic. Is it possible to reject Genesis 1 but believe in Revelation 21-22? The new heavens and earth is the reason God created the first heavens and earth. One follows logically upon the other, with supernatural creation as the common thread.
Revelation 21-22 describe the Kingdom that Jesus testified about.2 He created the present one, 3 so we can expect that He will also create the new one. If a person denies God’s omnipotence with the first creation, why accept it with the new creation? It does not make sense.
- 2 Peter 3:10-12
- Mark 1:15
- John 1:3