According to the Bible the earth was created more or less 4,000 years before Jesus’ arrival on earth (He was born around 4 BC and crucified around 30 AD). According to the world, the earth is about 4,5 billion years old. We have seen that neither radioactive dating (Did science prove Jesus wrong on the age of the earth?) nor carbon-14 dating (Are diamonds Darwin’s best friend?) support an old earth. In this blog we want to look at the earth’s loss of magnetism and the receding of the moon.
# The magnetism of the earth declines.
It has been proven that the magnetism of the earth declines steadily.
- In 1970 Dr Thomas Barnes noted that measurements show that the earth’s magnetic field has decayed at 5% per century. 1,2,3
- Archaeological measurements showed that the magnetic field was 40% stronger in AD 1000 than it is now. 4
- Dr Barnes calculated that the current could not have decayed for more than 10,000 years. Otherwise the starting point would have been so strong it would have melted the earth. 5
# The moon moves away from the earth.
It is an established fact that the moon moves away from the earth at about 4 cm per year. The reason is that the earth loses angular momentum that must be gained by the moon. So the moon must have been nearer to the earth in the past. Because of the Roche Limit the moon could never have been nearer than 18,400 km from the earth. The earth’s tidal forces that act on the moon would have shattered it. Even if the moon had touched the earth, it would have taken only about 1,37 billion years to reach its present distance. That is far less than the supposed 4,5 billion years age of the earth. 6,7
Concerning the age of the earth, we tend to take the world’s opinion as ‘sacred’ and the Bible’s as ‘wishful’ thinking. We have discussed some physical aspects that do not point to a 4,5 billion years old earth. Somebody is playing fast and loose with the truth. Why? We will discuss whether creation and the age of the earth is a salvation issue, or not?
- McDonald KL, Gunst RH, An Analysis of the earth’s magnetic field from 1835 to 1965, ESSA Technical Report, IER 46 -IER 1 US Government Printing Office, Washington, 1967 cited by J Sarfati, The Greatest Hoax On Earth, Creation Book Publishers, 2010, p 210-214
- Earth’s Magnetic Field is Fading, National Geographic News
- Earth’s Magnetic Field is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now, Kelly Dickerson, July 8, 2014, LiveScience
- Merrill RT, McElhinney, MW, The Earth’s Magnetic Field, Academic Press, London, 1983, p 101-106, cited by Ref 1
- Barnes TG, Foundations of Electricity and Magnetism 3rd Edition, El Paso, Texas, 1977
- Britt Scharringhausen, Ask an Astronomer, Is the Moon moving away from the Earth? July 18, 2015
- J Sarfati, The Genesis Account, Creation Book Publishers, 2015, p 204