In Romans 1:18-20 we have the privilege to see how the ruler of the world leads people astray by opposing the Bible’s teaching.
Romans 1:18-20 is an amazing passage. It teaches that all people know there is a God through nature, ‘For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.’
# These verses have far reaching implications.
- Creation tells people that there is a powerful Creator God.
- He has a divine nature, which means He is holy (completely righteous – without fault).
- So our consciences tell us that God holds us responsible for our actions while we are on earth. We live in the Creator’s moral universe. That is why our actions are important to God.
# There are people who claim that God is not real.
They deny His existence based on what the TV and other programs teach them. The secular media of the world continuously blow a very loud trumpet: nothing was created, because everything evolved – ‘the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, the sea and all that is in it’ 1 evolved by natural means over billions of years.
# There is a person who hates Romans 1:18-20.
He knows God is real, but he has a vested interest that as few people as possible know it. What could he do to cause people to drop the idea that the universe was created by God? He could teach them the opposite as if it is scientific fact: the universe simply popped into existence over billions of years. How utterly clever, and demonic!
# There are Bible verses that inform us that the enemy of the Creator is the devil.
- He [the devil] is a liar and a thief, ‘He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.’ 2
- He can deceive the whole world because, ‘…the whole world is under the control of the evil one.’ 3
# The enemy of God rules the world for a limited time.
The devil, motivated by his hatred of God and humans, uses his position as temporary ruler of the world to promote the idea of a natural universe without design or purpose. That means people just happened to evolve. We die like animals and that is the end of us. If there is no Creator, there is no judgement after death and no eternal destinations.
# The reason we discuss Romans 1:18-20
It demonstrates how relevant Scripture is. A hundred years ago the fight against God by the promotion of Darwinian evolution was not so obvious. Now we have the privilege to see how the ruler of the world leads people astray by opposing the Bible’s teaching.
It gives us so much more confidence in Scripture to see how relevant Romans 1:18-20 is.
- Revelation 10:6
- John 8:44
- 1 John 5:19