There are two accounts of the origin of the earth. One comes from the Word (the Bible), ‘But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.’ 1 That means a big ball of water at the beginning. The other account is from the world system and it says: in the beginning the big bang just happened naturally and the earth appeared billions of years later.
# The difference between the two
- In the case of Creation by God, an intelligent Superior Mind was at work, ‘By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding He set the heavens in place; by His knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew.’ 2 God had a goal with creation.
- Contrary to that, nature has no mind, no goal, no foresight and it all happened by chance.
- The difference between the testimony of the Word and the witness of the world is vast. If Jesus, the Creator, was alive today, what would He say?
- Would He be on the side of the Big Ball of Water (the size of the earth) and the six days, or would He concede that the heavens and earth developed mindlessly over billions of years?
# The Big Ball versus the Big Bang.
- We intend to discuss the two versions in more detail, with reference to what we know from science. It is important that we are confident about our Lord’s power.
- It would be wonderful if we could agree with the twenty-four elders in the New Jerusalem where they honour God with these words, ‘You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honour and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created.’ 3
The issue is, which one is true, the account of the Word or the account of the world? We will keep you updated.
- 2 Peter 3:5
- Proverbs 3:19,20
- Revelation 4:11