God reveals Himself in the Bible as Creator. In this blog we want to discuss the remarkable logic of God’s 3 creation events.
# The first creation event, Genesis 1
- The first creation is a ‘prototype’ (a preliminary stage or event) that God spoke into existence in six days. It is the natural universe we live in, but God warns that it is temporary. It exists only to give each person time to accept or reject God’s invitation to be part of His Family.
- 2 Peter 3:10-13 explains the demise of this present universe. ‘[T]he day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare…. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat….’
# The second creation event, the Cross
- On the cross Jesus paid the penalty for sin. Those who accept it, become part of God’s Family, the Bride of Christ. Jesus is the Bridegroom.1 We read, ‘The bride belongs to the bridegroom’ 2 (to differentiate, we use capital letters: Jesus, the Bridegroom and the Bride of Christ).
- We see an analogy to this when God created a bride, Eve, for the bridegroom Adam. Just as Eve was created out of Adam’s side, the Bride was ‘created’ out of Jesus’ pierced side.
# The third creation event, Revelation 21:1
After God’s big bang [the massive fire which will destroy the present heavens and earth], He creates a new heaven and earth:
- ‘Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.’ 3
- ‘Behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth.’ 4
- ‘…the new heavens and the new earth that I will make…’ 5
The final act
- Finally the great wedding will come, ‘Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and be glad and give Him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and His Bride has made herself ready….’ 6
- The Family: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, the Bride and the holy angels will all live together on the new earth.
- Everything will be bright and shining in the glorious light of the Lord. Eternally!
The Bible is a ’Creation’ book. Our Creator God created the first heaven and earth. Then He ‘created’ the Cross which led to the creation of the Bride, the Church. Then comes the creation of the new heaven and earth where the redeemed, the Bride of Christ, will live eternally with the Bridegroom.
- Matthew 9:15
- John 3:29
- Revelation 21:1
- Isaiah 65:17a
- Isaiah 66:22a
- Revelation 19:6-7