One of the startling revelations of the Bible is that what we see around us is not only the natural we experience with our senses. Especially after Darwin’s ‘breathtaking observation’ that our world is only natural and nothing else, there are people who believe that our physical universe is all there was, is and will be! It might have been fine, except for the following announcement by God Himself,
‘In the beginning God [Supernatural] created the heavens and the earth [natural].’ Genesis 1:1
Genesis 1:1 reveals that,
- The eternal God created in the beginning.
- The name used for ‘God (Elohim)’ is plural (more than one in the Godhead).
- Yet the verb ‘created’ is singular (unity).
- The ‘heavens and the earth’ is our present known universe.
This verse establishes the Supernatural in our world. The Bible reveals that the Supernatural eternal Triune God existed before creation. That is in stark contrast to those who believe the universe just popped into existence – from nothing – for no reason at all!
The supernatural/natural mix of our world is an important revelation of the Bible. It is because:
- At the end of time, God will destroy the natural earth,
‘…The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.’ 2 Peter 3:10
- The supernatural will replace the natural and will become eternal,
‘Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth [natural] had passed away.’ Revelation 21:1
What does God teach us? We live in a world where the supernatural is part of life. It is dangerous to neglect it.