God created the earth out of water by water according to 2 Peter 3:5 (see God’s watery creation and Science agrees with Scripture about our watery planet). That means water is important. It is the ‘molecule that supports all life.’ Our planet is covered with at least 71% water. Cells consist of from 75-95% water. Human bodies contain at least 60% water. Without the water cycle, everything on earth will die.
# Life on our planet depends on water.
- The words, ‘Exquisite Engineering’ describe the Creator God’s creation of water. Logic, common sense and the discoveries of science show the absolute precision and importance of water in nature. Take water away and we are another Mars – cold, barren and lifeless.
- Scripture tells us how important water is, ‘[God] cuts a channel for the torrents of rain, a path for the thunderstorm, to water a land where no man lives, a desert with no one in it, to satisfy a desolate wasteland and make it sprout with grass.’ 1
# Science explains the special properties of water.
‘Four emergent properties of water contribute to earth’s suitability for life.’ 2
- Cohesion. ‘Cohesion due to hydrogen bonding contributes to the transport of water and dissolved nutrients against gravity in plants.’ That means water has the ability to move ‘upwards’ in plants. p 93
- ‘Moderation of temperature by water.’ p 94 Water helps to give the earth, as well as living organisms, moderate temperatures. It is because it takes considerable energy to heat water. So the large amount of surface water balances the earth’s temperature.
- ‘Floating of ice on liquid water.’ p 95 Ice is lighter than water. So when ocean water freezes the ice floats on top. Therefore the fish, whales and other organisms can survive beneath the ice.
- ‘Water is the solvent of life.’ p 96 Life is possible because minerals can dissolve in water and become accessible to plants, salt dissolved in the oceans enable life, et cetera. 2
# Water is even important in eternal life.
- The surprise is that water is not only indispensable for life in God’s first creation, but even important in eternal life. On the new earth there will be no seas, but the river of life will be in the New Jerusalem, ’Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb, down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.’ 3
- Revelation 22:17 says, ’whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.’ (bold added)
Water is vitally important now and for the new heaven and earth. And where does all the water come from? It was created by the eternal King. Glory!
- Job 38:25-27
- Reece et al, Campbell Biology, Pearson, 2011, p 92-100
- Revelation 22:1-2
In the previous blog, ‘God’s watery creation,’ we mentioned 2 Peter 3:5, ‘The earth was formed out of water by water.’ This creation account seems very logical because we know that,
- The earth is the only planet of the 8 in our solar system that has 71% water on its surface.
- Water is essential for life on earth because its special properties are unique.
Surprisingly it looks as if researchers have begun to agree with the Bible, according to the following quotes.
# Quotes from science journals
Initially big bang adherents thought the water on earth came from comets and asteroids. It had many problems, so they had to rethink the issue.
- ‘Instead of arriving later by comet impact, Earth’s waters have likely existed since our planet’s birth. The planet formed as a wet planet with water on the surface.’ 1
- ‘A team of researchers studying the isotopic content of rocks specifically located in Baffin Island, Canada have discovered evidence supporting the idea of Earth having “native water”—water not delivered by comets or asteroids, but here since its formation.’ 2
- ‘We cannot rule out the addition of water to Earth’s surface after its formation (i.e. via comets and asteroids), but our data suggests that Earth had water from the very beginning of its formation, so a large amount of water addition later was not necessarily needed to produce our oceans [Dr. Lydia Hallis, the lead author of the study, told IFLScience].’ 3
- ‘A final clue that the planet’s oceans may have formed very early on is that there is more chlorine on Earth than you would expect.’ 4
- ‘If the Earth’s oceans were formed from water on our own planet, rather than asteroids, that would solve a couple of problems for planetary scientists. One is why Earth seems to have so much water in the first place. Another is why life, which as far as anyone knows requires water, seems to have appeared so quickly once the Earth had a solid surface.’ 5
- ‘The origin of water on Earth, or the reason that there is clearly more liquid water on Earth than on the other rocky planets of the Solar System, is not completely understood. There exist numerous more or less mutually compatible hypotheses as to how water may have accumulated on Earth’s surface over the past 4.5 billion years in sufficient quantity to form oceans.’ 6
- ‘And so, while we can’t say with certainty how water came to Earth, we can say we’re fortunate it did.’ 7
The quotes hint that researchers do not understand the origin of water clearly. Despite that, it is interesting that nearly all the quotes conclude that there was probably liquid water on the earth from the beginning. Logically they will not accept the Bible’s explanation that God created the earth out of water by water. Yet that doesn’t negate the testimony of God’s Word.
- National Geographic, Mystery of Earth’s Water Origin Solved. Andrew Fazekas, October 30, 2014
- A Balzer, On the Origin of Earth’s Water, Owlcation, Desember 21, 2017
- A Carpineti, 12 November 2015, Where did Earth’s Water Come From, IFLScience
- Balz Kamber, Scientifist, March 22, 2017
- J Emspak, Where Did Earth’s Water Come From, Live Science, July 7, 2016
- Wikipedia, Origin of water on earth
- Jonathan Atteberry, Where Does Water Come From, Science.how stuffworks.com
If there is one thing most people are aware of, it is the big bang. It expanded or exploded and eventually resulted in the earth with lots of life on it. It is supposed to be a true, verified scientific fact. If you question it, you are against science and progress. God’s version of creation is different. We want to discuss some differences and see what real science tells us about it all.
# People scoff at the Bible’s account of origins.
- The New Testament verse, 2 Peter 3:5, sheds light on the creation of the earth, ‘…they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed, and the earth was formed out of water by water.’ God created the earth first in a ‘strange’ watery way out of water and by water.
- Genesis 1:2 supports it, ‘…and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.’
- Is it so strange that our planet was created in water and out of water? There is water wherever you look on the planet: oceans, rivers and clouds. Even the bodies of plants, animals and people contain large percentages of water. And… so far, it seems as if earth is the only planet with such an abundance of water.
# The contrast between the two creation accounts.
- The Bible’s cool watery creation of the earth is in direct contradiction to the ‘science’ of our day that ‘proved’ that it all began in an extremely hot fiery explosion. ‘The earth is formed out of debris around the solar protoplanetary disc. There is no life. Temperatures are extremely hot, with frequent volcanic activity and hellish environments. The atmosphere is nebular. Possible early oceans or bodies of liquid water.’ 1
- God first created the earth and later the sun, moon and stars. That is contrary to the big bang idea of the universe first and later the earth.
- The Bible also tells us that a Person created with a plan and a purpose. ‘By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding He set the heavens in place; by His knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop dew.’ 2 The world’s version is that it all happened by chance without intelligence, plan or reason involved.
God says He created the earth out of water and by water. If we look at our planet, we are impressed by the amounts of water on earth and how important it is to maintain life. It might just be that the Bible is not as unscientific as the world outside wants us to believe.
- History of the Earth, Wikipedia
- Proverbs 3:19-20