The purpose of this blog is to show that the Bible does not support human evolution. It is clear from Jesus’ words, ‘…at the beginning the Creator made them male and female,’ that humans did not evolve.1 Despite that, there are still ‘Christians’ who think we evolved from ape-like ancestors. Please note there is scientifically no evidence for human evolution. 2
God created (Jesus is also the Creator), 3 the first man and woman in His image, ‘Let us make man in our image.’ 4 The Bible teaches:
- The Trinity decided beforehand that Jesus would come to earth, ‘He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed at these last times for your sake.’ 5
- Jesus, the Saviour, appeared as a human being on earth, ‘…made in human likeness.’ 6
- The resurrected Jesus still had His human form. He ascended, and is today at the right hand of the Father, still in human form.
- We will be like Jesus once we are resurrected, ‘And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so shall we bear the likeness of the man from heaven.’ 7
- From beginning to end, only the human form is important. It is miraculous that we, humans, were made in the image of Jesus. He became like us, lives like us in heaven, and one day will reign on the new earth still looking like a human.
- Since the human form is ‘fixed,’ it excludes all biological evolution from ape-like ancestors.
- It is one of the devil’s strategies to convince people they are made in the image of an ape, not in God’s image.8 The aim is to deny the specialness of humans, and to break the link between Jesus and humans.
What do we learn? To believe that humans descended from apes is to insult the Trinity, since they decided to make humans in their image. It is playing with fire to doubt God’s Word and to imply that God does not have the intelligence and power to design what they decided on – humans in His image.
Scripture is absolutely correct that people are made in the image of God, and not in the image of an animal.
- Matthew 19:4
- A Gauger, D Axe, C Luskin, Science and Human Origins, Discovery Institute Press, 2012
- John 1:3, Hebrews 1:2; Colossians 1:16
- Genesis 1:26-27
- 1 Peter 1:18-20. See also 2 Timothy 1:10
- Philippians 2:7
- 1 Corinthians 15:49
- WJ Smith, The War on Humans, Discovery Institute Press, 2014
Has science proven that humans evolved from some ape-like ancestor? Guy Harrison believes
human evolution is based on solid science and hard evidence. Yet, to put fossils (from apes to people) in a line, presupposing it proves evolution is fallacious. ‘[M[ost hominid fossils, even though they serve as a basis for endless speculation and elaborate storytelling, are fragments of jaws and scraps of skulls.’ 1
Developmental biology should be able to give us some insight. Paul Nelson described the problem for evolution as follows:
- Animal body plans are built in each generation by a stepwise process, from the fertilised egg to the many cells of the adult. Think about genetic circuitry, almost like that of electric diagrams. The ape-like ancestor (with its specific circuit) must evolve into a human being (with its specific circuit).
- To evolve the new body plan of the human, mutations must occur early in development.
- All experiments have proven that early mutations are guaranteed to cause the death of the embryo. 2
This has led to what is called the Great Darwinian Paradox: mutations that are needed early to ensure evolution, cause the death of the embryo. Mutations late in embryonic development cause only superficial changes. 3
Davidson and Britten, after years of painstaking research, talk about the ‘developmental gene regulatory networks,’ which control the development of the embryos of organisms. These cannot vary without causing catastrophic effects to the organism. 4
The conclusion we can draw from scientific research is:
- Each kind of organism (humans included) has a unique genetic makeup, with its own genetic circuitry.
- Body plan formation cannot tolerate mutations early in development of the embryo. Evolution from an ape-like ancestor to a human is impossible.
- Besides that, it takes about 216 million years for only two mutations to be fixed, making the supposed evolution of ape-like creatures to humans impossible.5
‘The extreme difficulty encountered when attempting to transform one organism [an ape-like creature] into another….still functional one [a human] lies in the difficulty in resetting a number of the controlling switches in a manner that still allows the individual’s orderly (somatic) development.’ 6
The take away message from that quote is: evolution is impossible.
One can claim that Christians oppose evolution. Then one should add that science also opposes human evolution. People’s belief in evolution is based on faith in Darwin, not on facts. This includes Guy Harrison.
- SJ Could, The Panda’s Thumb: More Reflections in Natural History, WW Norton & Company, 1980, p 126, cited by C Luskin, Science & Human Origins, A Gauger, D Axe & C Luskin, Location 746 of 2460.
- Paul Nelson, cited by SC Meyer, Darwin’s Doubt, HarperOne, 2013, p 262,263.
- JF McDonald, The Molecular Basis of Adaptation, p 93, cited by SC Meyer, Darwin’s Doubt, HarperOne, 2013, p 262.
- Britten & Davidson, Gene Regulation for Higher Cells, p 57, cited by SC Meyer, Darwin’s Doubt, HarperOne, 2013, p 265.
- R Durrett & D Schmidt, Waiting for Regulatory Sequences to appear, Annals of Applied Probability 17 (2007): 1-32, cited by A Gauger, D Axe, C Luskin, Science & Human Origins, Discovery Institute Press, 2012, kindle location 362 of 2460.
- B Wallace, Adaptation, Neo-Darwinian Tautology, and Population Fitness, p 70, cited by SC Meyer, Darwin’s Doubt, HarperOne, 2013, p 260.