We read about elections for presidents, prime ministers and high dignitaries. Recently Zimbabwe had their elections and earlier it was Mexico. Whatever the outcome, some people are always dissatisfied. The reason is that every person has his or her opinion. Governments differ, they might be communist, fascist, socialist democratic, et cetera. God’s government is completely different.
# What is God’s government like?
God’s Kingdom will last eternally, so His type of government should be important to take note of. Eternity is very long and God’s reign will be peaceful and loving. How does He do it? His planning is brilliant. Look at some aspects:
# God’s citizens choose their government on this side of the grave.
- There is now, and will be in eternity, only one King, one Bridegroom and one Councillor in God’s Kingdom. That will never change. People who don’t want to submit to them, may choose the alternative now, in this life.
- God in His brilliance gave man the freedom to choose and be sifted now, not when His government is in operation. In God’s Kingdom there will be no change of Government. God will be the King eternally.
- There will be no opportunity to vote for president, prime minister, or whatever type of ruler. The voting pole closes for a human being when he or she dies
- In the coming ages, everything is ‘fixed’ eternally, ’The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city [New Jerusalem], and His servants [we, followers of Christ] will serve Him.’ 1
# All the citizens of God’s future Kingdom will love the Ruler.
- Once again, people who don’t want to live under the Lord’s reign, are completely free to choose not to be part of God’s nation. There is no force to love and obey the Lord.
- The free will test will cause that all, not 85% or 99.9%, but 100% of the citizens of the future Kingdom of peace will love their Ruler. That is the one requirement that will never change. Why? If people love their leaders they are happy with them and follow them.
- God summarises love for your ruler, ‘This is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome.’ 2 Love and obedience will logically lead to a peaceful and harmonious nation.
- In addition God gives us time in this life to learn to love and forgive others. ‘Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.’ 3 Obviously no one who loves another will murder or harm him.
# Jesus is the One who enabled us to love the Lord.
To love, obey and serve God, is only possible because our Bridegroom gave His life to change our hearts. ‘He [God] saved us through the washing of rebirth [Jesus Christ] and the renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Saviour, so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.’ 4
The Lord God Almighty, the Ruler of heaven, will rule with love, because, ‘He is the Rock, His works are perfect, and all His ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He.’ 5 What a King! No wonder His followers love Him, and will serve Him eternally.
- Revelation 22:3
- 1 John 5:3
- 1 John 4:7-8
- Titus 3:5b-7
- Deuteronomy 32:4