God’s Care for Man
In the previous blog, The Pre-Creation Conference, Part 1, Introduction, we discussed that the Bible reveals God’s plan for man. The Godhead decided before creation that Jesus would be the Lamb of God, without blemish or defect.
That causes us to ask two questions:
- Why did the Godhead plan that Jesus would be a Sacrifice on behalf of man?
- What happened to Adam and Eve that caused God to go to such lengths?
If we look at all the decisions made before creation, and how they were worked out in history, one aspect is marvellous: God’s concern and care for man.
Maybe a short Gospel presentation would be helpful at this stage:
- God made man in His image.
- Adam was to rule over creation.
- God commanded him not to eat from the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
- Satan tricked Eve. She ate and also gave to Adam and he ate it. They disobeyed God.
- That enabled Satan to steal Adam’s right to rule. Therefore the devil is now the prince of this world.
- Adam and Eve were evicted from the Garden of Eden and separated from the tree of life, which meant a break in their relationship with God.
- Therefore all Adam’s descendants are born in Satan’s kingdom. So our minds are darkened in regard to knowledge of God. We are alienated from God.
- God wants us to be His children and to be reconciled to Him again.
- Yet two decrees stand between us and God:
- ‘The wages of sin is death’ and we all sin. Romans 6:23
- ‘There is only forgiveness by the shedding of blood.’ Leviticus 17:11; Hebrews 9:22
- God made provision in Jesus for us.
- In the Garden of Eden after Adam and Eve sinned, God shed the blood of innocent animals to cover Adam and Eve. It was a picture of what Jesus would do. He shed His blood so that we can be forgiven.
- The Sacrificial system of the Israelite nation was also a picture of the coming Lamb of God.
- The Lamb came, and shed His precious blood on the Cross. Thus both decrees of God are handled.
The marvel: God’s extra help for man
God made two more decisions before creation to ensure that there would be nothing to hinder the restoration of our relationship with Him. He does not only handle and forgive our sins. Included in the package is that we will be holy and blameless in His sight and it is all by grace and not merit.
1. ‘For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight.’ Ephesians 1:4
2. God has ‘…saved us and called us to a holy life – not because of anything we have done, but because of His own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but has now been revealed through the appearing of our Saviour, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the Gospel.’ 2 Timothy 1:9-10
God did it so that we can understand that it is His decision that we belong to Him. It is not because we are so smart, clever or wonderful. It was solely His doing.
Also, God, contrary to so many people in high positions, has no favourites. If we had to earn salvation, obviously some people are just more disciplined, stronger, mentally superior, et cetera. God could not allow it, so salvation is by grace.
In this whole proses we see God’s wisdom, understanding, omniscience and complete care for us, fallible humans. We can only praise and worship such a brilliant, good God!
To be continued….