The Bible with its 66 books is the only Revelation of the eternal, powerful, Triune God. It has been around for a very long time. Yet it does not disappear. Actually it refuses to become an obsolete museum piece. For a book, at least 2,000 years old, it is impressive. That means it is supernatural and must have a supernatural protector. He is the eternal God.
Without the following ‘elements,’ the Bible would make no sense:
- Eternal life. Why would anyone go to the trouble to follow Jesus if only for this life? According to the Bible, there is an enemy who rules over the world. He hates God. He continually attacks, harasses and abuses all people, whether they belong to God or not. However, if there is no eternity, there is no need to harass people and no need to attack the Bible. Why? Then a person merely lives and dies and that is the end. So the war against the Word is evidence of eternal life with two different destinations.
- Creation in six days. If God did not create the heavens and the earth in six days, then there is nothing to look forward to. God promises a new heaven and a new earth when He destroys this one. Yet that is impossible if God is not the omnipotent Creator. Some people believe the universe and our solar system evolved over billions of years. If that is true we will have to wait trillions of years for the next, new, completely different heaven and earth to ‘evolve.’ This universe of atoms/elements will, according to the Bible, be burned up and replaced with eternal features. The desperate attempts to convince every one that the universe is the result of mindless unplanned events, is evidence there is a new heaven and earth coming for God’s followers.
The eternal God will make sure we His faithful, called, chosen followers will be with Him on the new earth, in the New Jerusalem.
Jesus invites us in Matthew 11:28 to come and learn from Him, for He is gentle and humble in heart. Therefore it might seem as if Jesus was not that gentle at times. Think about the following He said,
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the Kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your Name, and in Your Name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers.’” Matthew 7:21-23
Why does it sound almost rude? It is because Jesus came with the mission to save the lost. Salvation does not mean only to give your heart to Jesus. It also means to make sure you arrive safely in the Kingdom. So it is in love that Jesus gives that warning.
He explained on another occasion,
‘Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.’ John 17:3
We will be eternally in the presence of God the Father and Jesus the Bridegroom. We need to know both.
Where do we learn about God and Jesus? In the Bible which is the only revelation of the Most High Triune God. Jesus tells us that it is important to study His Word with the help of the precious Holy Spirit. A follower of Jesus who is not filled with the Holy Spirit and is not in the 66 books, is an anomaly. It does not work. Not the pastor’s preaching or the messages on cell phones are a substitute for personal Bible study.
It is in love that Jesus requests us to make very sure we know Him well enough so that we will be with Him eternally.
Natasha Crain, in her blog christianmomthoughts.com, discusses the reason why kids need to know that God is important (July 28, 2015). Her research on ex-Christians that defected from Jesus, show:
- They don’t need Jesus to be happy. They can be happy in themselves.
- They don’t need Jesus to be good. They can be good by themselves.
- They don’t need Jesus to give meaning to life. They can do it without God.
Natasha’s answer to these statements is that kids need God because He exists. If He doesn’t exist, they don’t need Him.
We want to add another reason why kids (and adults) need God – He promises us a wonderful future in eternity if we make Him our first priority.
- Our earthly life span is a fraction of the length of eternity. God warns through Scripture that it is important to prepare for eternal life.
- People may claim that the promise of eternal life is just wishful thinking. However, the amount of propaganda levelled against the Bible, is strange if this life is all there is.
- For example, atheists publish books to turn believers into unbelievers (making much of the fact that believers supposedly cannot think). They tell people evolution is true (which obviously makes God redundant), et cetera.
- Why do they do it? If there is no eternal life, what does it matter what a person believes? Why try to convince him or her that the Bible and God is a fairy tale? However, if God’s promises of an eternal life of peace and happiness with Him as Father and King, is true, it becomes tremendously important what one believes on this side of the grave.
- The efforts to undermine the Bible’s promises of eternal life in Jesus, speak volumes about God’s enemy, the devil.1 He is the one who foments and organises all the wars against the Bible and God. It is because he permanently lost the opportunity to ever be with God again. He takes revenge by keeping people in the dark about God’s wonderful plan for man.
Conclusion: who wants to spend eternity in the lake of burning sulphur for rejecting God’s gracious, merciful salvation plan through Jesus, effected by the Holy Spirit? Only God can help you to live eternally in bliss and happiness under a King who loves and cares for you. That is why kids need to understand that God is very important.
1. Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10