An overview of Part 1, Adam and Eve
- God instituted marriage with Adam and Eve, the first couple. They lived in unity with God in the Garden of Eden. It was God’s plan to test their love and loyalty. He allowed the serpent to test their obedience. They fell into the trap, disobeyed God and Adam lost his position as ruler over God’s creation. The devil, Satan, became ruler of the world.
- Genesis 3 explains how the world was divided into two opposing kingdoms. One is the Kingdom of Light with God as its Ruler. The opposing kingdom of darkness has Satan as its ruler.
An overview of Part 2, The two kingdoms
Jesus confirmed the existence of the two kingdoms. They are irreconcilable and at war with each other. Their goals and standards of living are strange to each other. There is no peace, no harmony and no common ground between them.
We will always struggle to interpret what happens in the world if we do not understand the two kingdom world we live in. This is especially important when it comes to God’s design of marriage.
Part 3, God’s marriage pattern is a shadow
God created people with a very specific purpose to become part of His eternal Kingdom.
- Marriage on earth is a shadow of the future marriage in heaven of Jesus and His eternal Bride. 1 The Bride will consist of billions of the saved individuals (it is like a body with billions of cells).
- When God pierced Adam’s side and formed his bride, it was a shadow of Jesus’ pierced side on the Cross where His Bride (the church) was ‘born.’
- Rejection of God’s marriage pattern is an insult to God and His Son, the Bridegroom and the Bride. 2
God created marriage for a reason
- The whole progress of God’s Kingdom is built on reproduction. Only 25% of people who hear the Gospel respond and remain faithful (according to the Parable of the Sower, Matthew 13:1-9; 18-23).
- That is why the All-knowing God allowed death into the earth. It paves the way for new generations that can make decisions for Jesus. So man and woman joined in marriage is important to produce children who can choose to become part of God’s Kingdom.
- Noah and his generation of godless people illustrate how only a remnant usually choose God’s ways. Only Noah, his wife and his three sons with their wives were saved. The rest were all destroyed in the flood. 3
- Without reproduction, God would have a very limited number of citizens. God needs many generations to reach His required number of people.
The devil hates God’s kind of marriage
- For Satan it is very important to thwart God’s efforts to gather people.
- Satan hopes to postpone his eternal torture in the lake of burning sulphur if he can prevent God from getting the right number of citizens. His hope is that the earth will then continue for a long time. Thus he opposes God’s kind of marriage.
God’s opinion about these anti-Biblical marriage patterns
The Bible is about God’s Kingdom. God decides whom He includes and excludes. God is precise, and does not leave us in the dark. That is so that people can change their ways and ensure an inheritance in God’s Kingdom.
- ‘Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes, nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the Kingdom of God.’ 4
- ‘The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the Kingdom of God.’ 5
- ‘For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person – such a man is an idolater – has any inheritance in the Kingdom of God.’ 6
Note carefully who God excludes from His Kingdom
- God mentions sexual immorality, homosexual offenders, adulterers, thieves, drunkards, the greedy, et cetera. Because God never shows favouritism, He cannot pardon some, and judge others. His Word explains His course of action. It applies to all people. Nobody has any exemption ‘certificate.’ You cannot obtain such a certificate, since it would amount to favouritism from God’s side.
- God doesn’t exclude people because they are inherently bad, but, because they will not submit to His ways. Therefore He categorises them as rebels, followers of the chief rebel, Satan. Yet they can change through Jesus the Saviour. There are billions of saved people who left the kingdom of darkness and entered the Kingdom of God.
- Jesus’ sacrifice was sufficient to save all people who want to, out of darkness, ‘For He [God] has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the Kingdom of the Son [Jesus] He loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.’ 7
Should followers of Jesus condemn others?
- The answer is short and sweet. No. We have no right to condemn because the two kingdoms differ.
- James 4:12 says, ’There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and destroy. But you — who are you to judge your neighbour?’ The ‘neighbour’ includes both the saved and (one would accept) the unsaved. Only one eternal Judge can save and condemn. It is not necessary for us to do God’s work.
- 1 Corinthians 5:12 makes it even clearer, “What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. ‘Expel the wicked man from among you [inside the church].’” It is the Holy Spirit who convicts people of sin, righteousness and judgment, not we.
What can we do?
Pray! Our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against the devil’s schemes and his demons. Prayer is powerful and effective. Do not judge but pray for your loved ones that may be in the devil’s trap. Satan cannot stop Holy Spirit inspired prayer.
To be continued…
- Ephesians 5:25-32
- Revelation 19:6-9
- Genesis 6:5-10
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
- Galatians 5:19-21
- Ephesians 5:5
- Colossians 1:13
In Part 1 and 2, I pondered… if I was forced to leave my home and possessions and could only take one article along, what would it be? Without a doubt, it is my Bible because it is a super special book. Psalm 138:2b says, ‘for You have exalted above all things Your Name and Your Word.’ In this blog I want to continue with the reasons for my decision.
# The Bible has a supernatural Author.
‘You [God] spoke by the Holy Spirit through the mouth of your servant, our father David…’ 1 God spoke through the Holy Spirit to David. Then David wrote down what God wanted him to.
- In this sci-fi age we could say the Bible contains the words of an ‘Extra Terrestrial Highly Intelligent Being.’ It is a unique claim, that an invisible Being, called the Holy Spirit, was behind the different writers.
- Does it mean that the writers were sort of automatons that wrote what was dictated to them? No, they all retained their individual characteristic styles. There is not an adequate human explanation for it. Maybe the best explanation is that it was like the inspiration of Shakespeare or many writers, just on a heavenly level.
- The Bible is a unique book. None like it has ever appeared in history, and none ever will, ‘ …the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times.’ 2
# The Bible explains the opposition of the world
- If the Bible is a supernatural book and not the work of the human writers only, it should have the stamp of God’s authenticity on it, and it has.
- For example, in the Garden of Eden, Satan appeared on the scene. He directly contradicted God’s command to Adam and Eve. God told them, if they ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, ‘THEY WOULD SURELY DIE.’ 3 The devil, in the form of that ancient serpent, told Eve, ‘YOU WILL NOT SURELY DIE’ and she obeyed him instead of God. 4
- That direct opposition to God’s commands, has become embedded in humanity: people increasingly reject, contradict and question Biblical truths.
# The Bible warns us about a final judgement.
- At the end of this age (when earth will have been destroyed by humans, and God takes over), there will be a final judgment. It will be based on our reactions to God’s message in the Bible.
- It means that there should be only one ‘Constitution’ or Law book on which the Court will base its decisions. Whether a person lived in 500 or 2000 AD, the Book remained the same. Otherwise there cannot be justice.
I just love it that the Lord speaks to me personally in Scripture, and of course to my wife and to all who trust Him. What a miracle that the Almighty God will stoop down and speak to us, ‘…have you not read what God said to you….’ 5
- Acts 4:25
- Psalm 12:6
- Genesis 2:16-17
- Revelation 12:9; Genesis 3:4
- Matthew 22:31
As a non American, it is interesting to watch the war against Mr Donald Trump. He can hardly do anything right in the eyes of the left. It even seems as if some churches have forgotten God’s command, ‘I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.’ 1
# What is Mr Trump’s biggest sin?
It was to move the Unites States’ embassy to Jerusalem and acknowledge it as Israel’s capital. So, what is the big deal in that? Why did it cause an almost apocalyptic out roar? The reason is that Jerusalem is God’s city:
- ‘Great is the Lord, and most worthy of praise, in the city of our God, His holy mountain.’ 2
- ‘…Like the utmost heights of Zaphon is Mount Zion, the city of the Great King [God].’ 3 Psalm 48:4 repeats that Jerusalem is the city of God.
- ‘For the Lord has chosen Zion [Jerusalem], He has desired it for His dwelling: This is my resting place for ever and ever; here I will sit enthroned for I have desired it..’ 4
Mr Trump supported what the Bible declares about Jerusalem. It is God’s dwelling place. If so, why all the accusations, complaints and general discontent from especially the left and many Democrats? It has to do with the invisible ruler of this world, the devil. 5 He does not love God or God’s love for Jerusalem. To explain it let’s look at the following:
# Satan’s last act before his eternal sentence will be to attack Jerusalem.
- Some time in the future, before Satan enters his eternal dwelling in the lake of burning sulphur, he will be chained in the Abyss for a thousand years. That is during the time of the Millennium, when Christ will personally rule over the nations, from Jerusalem.
- When Satan is released after the thousand years, he immediately deceives the people and gathers them for battle. Revelation 20:8b-9 records, ‘In number they are like the sand on the seashore. They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city He loves.’
- This is Satan’s last act of treachery, ‘And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulphur.’ 6 From then on his future is only eternal torture in the lake of fire.
- God and Jerusalem are so intimately tied together that on the new earth, we will not have a New Moscow, or a New Washington, but a New Jerusalem.
# God loves Jerusalem and has not forgotten the Jews.
- Many people think that God has forgotten His nation. He has not. The prophet Jeremiah tells in no uncertain terms that Israel will not cease to be a nation before God. 7 Paul writes in Romans 11 about the future restoration of the Israelites. It all has to do with the end times.
- Satan is very well aware of it, and he does not like this prospect, because it means his doom is near. He likes being the ruler and the destroyer of humans. Behind the scenes of the ‘attacks’ against Mr Trump is the hand of Satan. Any leader that in any way advances God’s plan and admits that Jerusalem and therefore the Jews, are important, is the devil’s enemy. That explains the furore against Mr Trump by the left: they are on the side of the enemy of God, the devil. Wittingly or unwittingly, they advance the devil’s agenda, not God’s.
This verse explains what is happening in the world, “The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the Lord and against His Anointed One. ‘Let us break their chains,’ they say, ‘and throw off their fetters.’“ 8 However, in America we have to add, ‘Certain news media and influential people in America gather together against the Lord, and do their best to abuse Mr Trump who recognises the importance of Jerusalem in God’s plan.’
- 1 Timothy 1:1-2
- Psalm 48:1
- Psalm 48:2b
- Psalm 132:13-14
- 1 John 5:19bd
- Revelation 20:10
- Jeremiah 31:35-37
- Psalm 2:1-3