Many churches and individual Christians shy away from Genesis 1. They either claim it is not an important issue, because it is a divisive element in the Church, or they believe that it is not possible that God could be the Creator (or whatever).
# What happens when one denies God as the Creator?
- The foundation of faith for forgiveness is wiped out. The most important aspect of the Christian faith is forgiveness for one’s sins by Jesus Christ, the Messiah. But, the right to forgive is linked to creation.
# The Forgiveness creation link.
- Jesus demonstrated this connection between Creator and Saviour when they brought the paralysed man to Him. He said to him, ‘Son, your sins are forgiven.’ The teachers of the law thought by themselves, ‘Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?’ (Note: only God can forgive sins.)
- Jesus immediately knew what they were thinking, and said, “Which is easier: to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk?’ But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins, …He said to the paralytic, ‘I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.’” What Jesus did was to prove that as Creator (the paralysed man was healed), He can be the Saviour (forgive sins). The logical question is where did He get the right to forgive sins?
# God and Jesus have the right to
- Define what sin is;
- Announce the penalty for sin, namely death;
- Present a remedy, namely the exchange of an innocent animal’s blood for the guilty;
- To find in Jesus’ death on the Cross a permanent Sacrifice, the Lamb of God.
# Why do they have the right to define sin and forgive?
- God created the heavens and the earth. Therefore He is the Possessor of heaven and earth.
- God as rightful Owner of this creation has the right to decree what offends Him. It is just like the leader of a country who decrees the laws for the citizens.
- God also has the right to declare what the punishment is when people break His laws. (Remember Jesus is also the Creator according to John 1:3, Hebrews 1:2, Colossians 1:16.)
# God, the Owner, decreed forgiveness.
- His own Son, Jesus, paid the penalty of sin on the Cross. Jesus gives new birth and eternal life through His resurrection. He opens the way to heaven through His ascension.
- God is able to save humanity out from under the yoke of the evil one, because He as Creator and Owner can decree salvation for those who want it.
One cannot spread the message of forgiveness of sins by Jesus, but deny creation by God. That is one of the reasons many reject the Christian message. They realise that without God the Creator, there can be no God the Forgiver. No Jesus the Creator, no Jesus the Redeemer.
1. Mark 2:4-12
If there is one thing most people are aware of, it is the big bang. It expanded or exploded and eventually resulted in the earth with lots of life on it. It is supposed to be a true, verified scientific fact. If you question it, you are against science and progress. God’s version of creation is different. We want to discuss some differences and see what real science tells us about it all.
# People scoff at the Bible’s account of origins.
- The New Testament verse, 2 Peter 3:5, sheds light on the creation of the earth, ‘…they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed, and the earth was formed out of water by water.’ God created the earth first in a ‘strange’ watery way out of water and by water.
- Genesis 1:2 supports it, ‘…and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.’
- Is it so strange that our planet was created in water and out of water? There is water wherever you look on the planet: oceans, rivers and clouds. Even the bodies of plants, animals and people contain large percentages of water. And… so far, it seems as if earth is the only planet with such an abundance of water.
# The contrast between the two creation accounts.
- The Bible’s cool watery creation of the earth is in direct contradiction to the ‘science’ of our day that ‘proved’ that it all began in an extremely hot fiery explosion. ‘The earth is formed out of debris around the solar protoplanetary disc. There is no life. Temperatures are extremely hot, with frequent volcanic activity and hellish environments. The atmosphere is nebular. Possible early oceans or bodies of liquid water.’ 1
- God first created the earth and later the sun, moon and stars. That is contrary to the big bang idea of the universe first and later the earth.
- The Bible also tells us that a Person created with a plan and a purpose. ‘By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding He set the heavens in place; by His knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop dew.’ 2 The world’s version is that it all happened by chance without intelligence, plan or reason involved.
God says He created the earth out of water and by water. If we look at our planet, we are impressed by the amounts of water on earth and how important it is to maintain life. It might just be that the Bible is not as unscientific as the world outside wants us to believe.
- History of the Earth, Wikipedia
- Proverbs 3:19-20
The question is, ’Did Jesus know when creation happened?’ Scripture tells us, He did. From the dates in the Old Testament, Jesus could easily determine when the universe was created: it happened only a few thousand years before He came to earth.
To many followers of Jesus, a young earth cannot be true, because they are convinced that evolution proves that the earth is old, very old. To believe that the earth was created only a few thousand years ago would make them a laughing stock in the eyes of the world. We will discuss the findings of ‘science’ in future blogs. Before that we want to give attention to the following aspects:
# God has a ‘construction project,’ His eternal Kingdom on earth.
- If God used billions of years of evolution to create the heavens and the earth, why don’t humans stretch out their creation projects over many years? Made in the image of God, we often mimic God’s ways. For example when humans select people for a certain work, or construct large projects, we do it according to God’s ways: we plan, design and execute.
- Normally a person who wants to construct some big complex, also plans, designs, and executes it. Does he finalise the plans, dig the foundations and then wait ten years to pour the concrete? Does he then slowly begin to build the walls after about 20 years and put in the conduit for the electricity after about 15 years, et cetera? Then finally, after 60-70 years he finishes the project and the people can move in and use it?
- Maybe there are people out there who do that, but God is not like that. He designed, planned and began to execute His project as He explains in Genesis 1.
- Why would He take 13,7 billion years before He began to gather a Bride for His Son, Jesus the Bridegroom? Jacob worked 7 years for Rachel, but normally when a man loves a woman, he wants to marry her and settle down.
# The Creator message of the Bible is consistent throughout.
If the Bible begins with God the Creator, that is what we should find right through to the end. Interestingly enough that is exactly what we find. God is Creator from Genesis to Revelation. God created the first heavens and earth by His power, and He will create the new heavens and earth by His power. It is a consistent message.
# The concept of truth in the Bible is consistent.
- Jesus asked His Father in John 17: 17, ‘Sanctify them [my disciples] by the truth; your word is truth.’ With that Jesus defined truth as the Word of God. That means He implicated His Father in this whole issue of the truth, ‘…I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father, who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it.’ 1
- Jesus testified, ‘When He, the Spirit of truth [the Holy Spirit] comes, He will guide you into all truth.’ 2 As we know, the Holy Spirit inspired the different writers of both the Old and New Testaments. 3
- God does not lie or change is mind. In Numbers 23:19 we read, ‘God is not a man that He should lie, nor a son of man that He should change His mind….’
- 1 Samuel 15:29 says, ‘He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change His mind; for He is not a man, that He should change His mind.’
- The New Testament reminds us in Hebrews 6:18, ‘…God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie…’
- It is also in Titus 1:2.
- God’s words are trustworthy. When God promised David that one of his descendants (Jesus) would sit on his throne eternally, David said, ‘O Sovereign Lord, you are God! Your words are trustworthy….’ 4
# Truth is important.
God is building His Kingdom with citizens of the highest calibre, people of truth and honesty like His Son and the Holy Spirit. In the last book of the Bible, Revelation. God tells us, ‘…the cowardly, the unbelieving…the idolaters and all liars – their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulphur.’ 5 God requires truth and not lies in His people. That is why He, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the embodiment of truth.
The Bible is our witness that Jesus spoke the truth. He who is Truth will sit on the right side of the Father on His throne in the New Jerusalem, loved and adored by His billions of followers. His followers are those who know He speaks the truth and He cannot lie. Neither can Scripture.
- John 12:49
- John 16:13
- 2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21; 1 Thessalonians 2:13
- 2 Samuel 7:28
- Revelation 21:8