There is a massive ‘industry’ to defend Darwinian evolution, even from inside the Church. Despite the fact that there is no solid scientific proof for Darwinian evolution, some ‘Christians’ still insist it is true. The problem is, one has to be consistent in the exegesis of Scripture. Let us look at two very specific verses, Romans 1:20 and Ephesians 2:10.
# Romans 1:20
- ‘For since the creation of the the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without any excuse.’
- The word used is ‘workmanship’ or ‘handiwork.’ Creation is the handiwork of God. This specific word ‘handiwork’ is found only in one other place in the New Testament, in Ephesians 2:10.
# Ephesians 2:10
‘For we are God’s workmanship [handiwork], created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.’ That means the ‘creation’ of new creatures in Jesus, is also the handiwork of God.
# God created two separate ‘things’
- God created the universe through Jesus ‘…and through whom [Jesus] He [God] made the universe….’ 1
- God also created His children to be new ‘creations’ in Christ Jesus, ‘…if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!’ 2
# Romans 1:20 and Ephesians 2:10 are related.
Because the New Testament uses ‘handiwork’ or ‘workmanship’ only in these two verses, there is a relationship between them. Both testify to God’s creative ability. The one is physical and visible, the other one spiritual and invisible. Yet both are real: they demonstrate God’s, ‘eternal power and divine nature.’
# They stand or fall together.
If six day creation is not the handiwork of God, why would the creation of new people in Christ be? This is an example of the ‘domino’ principle in Scripture. When you lose faith in one verse or principle, your faith in the rest of the Bible starts to topple.
Both Ephesians 2:10 and Romans 1:20 are true. God created the universe in six days to be our temporal home. He will renew it to be the eternal home of people who were renewed in their inner being. All this is due to God’s power!
- Hebrews 1:2
- 2 Corinthians 5:17
A person who denies Genesis 1 has to prove how complex living machines evolved.
If we listen to evolutionary propaganda, it is clear that they scoff at anyone who dares to believe living things were created in twenty-four hour days. Those bright scoffers cannot understand how people can believe the Bible’s ‘nonsense.’ Well, here is a challenge to those who scoff at the Genesis 1 account.
# All living things have a tiny motor in their cells.
- Plants, birds, fish, reptiles, land animals and humans (created on day 3,5,6 of the creation week) are dependent on the ATP synthase motor in each cell of the body.1,2,3 So every organism has millions of these tiny motors. They are the energy generators of the body and life depends on them.
- If these machines shut down, death ensues very quickly. This was proved in the Second World War when a poison was used to kill people. That poison shut down the production of ATP, and death ensued very quickly.
# The ATP synthase motor
See sketch to understand that it is a real motor.
- You die within an hour when the ATP motor shuts down. Then it had to be designed and built in a very short time for life to exist at all.
- The whole cell functions as a unit. No-one can claim that simple cells evolved first and then later the ATP synthase motor evolved quickly to bring life to the cells.
- If life evolved over millions of years, how and when did the ATP ‘machine’ in the intricately designed factory (the cell) evolve? Nobody has ever answered that.
- We know from present day experience that intricate machines like cell phones or computers don’t evolve on their own. They are designed and created by some-one who had a goal in mind and the intelligence to put it all together.
- Time and chance have never created an intricate motor. Evolutionists imply the ATP synthase motor evolved naturally over millions of years, but they can never prove it scientifically.
# To complicate matters, what about the DNA?
- DNA is necessary for the ‘construction’ and function of the ATP synthase motor. It is another tricky issue how the DNA in each cell evolved slowly on its own?
- DNA is a string of letters that make up the recipe of each life form. To put the DNA letters in a meaningful string so that they send a message to construct an organism, requires someone with purpose and intelligence. 4
- We can compare the genetic ‘letters’ to the letters of the alphabet. They don’t form meaningful sentences and write a novel, spy thriller, or scientific journal on their own. Someone has to plan, design and organize the letters into a meaningful message.
A person who denies Genesis 1 has to prove how complexity evolved. Saying ‘it evolved,’ is not an answer. God still stands tall as the Creator of the heavens and earth in six twenty four hour days.
- Evolution News and Science today, Molecular Machine Menagerie Brightens, February 20, 2017
- J Sarfati, The Greatest Hoax on Earth, Creation Book Publishers, 2010, p 242-244
- JB Reece et al, Campbell Biology, Pearson, 2011, ATP Synthase, p 218-225
- SC Meyer, Signature in the Cell, HarperOne, 2009
It is positively dangerous to tamper with the factual meaning of Scripture.
The Bible consists of 66 different ‘documents’ or ‘books.’ If they were inspired by the Holy Spirit they should show an order, logic and continuity. If they don’t, why should we believe they had a common Author, the Holy Spirit?
# Creation, an example of a repeated theme
Let’s test whether the creation account of Genesis 1 is a theme found consistently in Scripture. These are a few examples of the many verses about creation:
- Exodus 20:11, ‘For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them….’
- Nehemiah 9:6, ’You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything….’
- Proverbs 3:19-20, ’By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding He set the heavens in place; by His knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew.’
- Jeremiah 32:17, ’Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.’
- John 1:3, ’Through Him [Jesus] all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made.’
- Colossians 1:16 and Hebrews 1:2 repeat that Jesus is the Creator.
- Revelation 10:6, ’And he [an angel] swore by Him who lives for ever and ever, who created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it….’
- A few other verses are in Psalm 33:6; Psalm146:6; Psalm 148:5; Ecclesiastes 11:5 Mark 13:19; Acts 17:24; 1 Corinthians 8:6; Hebrews 11:3; 2 Peter 3:4 et cetera.
# The pattern is clear throughout Scripture.
God created. If one denies God’s almighty power to create in six days, a big problem surfaces:
- Isaiah 65:17 says, ’Behold I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered….’ It is a prophecy that points to Revelation 21:1, ‘Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.’ A new literal eternal heaven and earth is the hope of the followers of Jesus.
- If someone changes Genesis 1, he/she has to change many other verses in the Bible that have to do with creation. Where does it end? If creation is not true, why is Jesus the Son of God, born of a virgin, resurrected from the dead, ascended to heaven?
God’s omnipotence is displayed in six days creation. That same omnipotence guarantees the new heavens and earth for us. It guarantees Jesus our Savior. It is positively dangerous to tamper with the factual meaning of Scripture.