The controversy about same sex marriages is a lingering issue in the Church. Some churches have no objection if a person claims to love Jesus when he or she is in a same sex relationship. Other churches do not condone it. It is not for us to judge, but we want to look at why God seems to be against homosexuality? Why doesn’t He change His standards when gay people profess to be Christians?
It is interesting that God created the family: man, woman and children. This principle of the family impacts three areas of Bible theology.
- The Trinity is like a family. The Bible reveals God as, God the Father, God the Son (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit has functions like a mother. We are born again through the Spirit and He comforts, teaches, helps and guides the children of God. The Trinity is foundational, they are eternal and it makes absolute sense in God’s revelation.
- God is depicted as the Husband of His wife, Israel.1 God will never divorce her and He was very upset about her immorality (worshipping other gods).
- Jesus is the Bridegroom2 and the Church is the Bride.3 In Ephesians 5:22-32 the husband-wife relationship is compared to the Jesus-Church relationship. A man will leave his father and mother and become united to his wife, so that they become one flesh. The Jesus-Church relationship also works in the same way. It is what Paul calls a profound mystery.4 In 2 Corinthians 11:2 we read, ‘I promised you to one Husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to Him.’
This means, if we change the husband-wife picture, we change the Trinity, God-Israel and Jesus-Church pictures. That will cause major adjustments in the theology of the Bible. Is God going to do it? It doesn’t look like it, since Jesus said, ‘…Scripture cannot be broken.’ 5
Who are the people who will not inherit the Kingdom of God unless they are forgiven and changed by the Holy Spirit? The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexual offenders, greedy, drunkards, slanderers, swindlers, thieves, murderers, liars.6 Most of these people do not put continual pressure on the Church to condone their behaviour. They realise that their actions are wrong and that they will miss the Kingdom if they do not change. It is the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender), group who pressurise the Church to condone their behaviour.
The pressure on the Church to accept homosexuality, is not so much to condone what God has decided is wrong. The reason the devil wants to make the LGBT group very prominent, is because it has to do with major theological principles. It is to change the fundamental structure of the Bible. He wants the Church to compromise the character of the Trinity and the Gospel by changing the man-woman marriage picture. If you denounce the Trinity, the structure of the Bible and God’s dealings with people have to change, but God is not going to change one iota of Scripture.
- Hosea 2:16, 5:4; Ezekiel 16:32, 23:5
- John 3:29
- Revelation 19:7
- Ephesians 5:32
- John 10:35
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Revelation 20:8
According to Richard Dawkins and the New Atheists, the Bible was written by unknown people in unknown deserts. Yet these ‘ignorant’ writers predicted, thousands of years ago, what the enemies of God and of the Bible would do (and they have been doing just that through the ages). It shows that the Bible is about reality, about what people think, plan and do.
The predictions of the Bible about Dawkins and the New Atheists:
- They will gather against the Lord. King David made this prediction about 3,000 years ago. He wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, “Why do the nations [atheists] conspire and the peoples [skeptics] plot in vain? The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers [Dawkins, Shermer and others] gather together against the Lord and against His Anointed One. ‘Let us break their chains,’ they say, ‘and throw off their fetters.’” 1 We see this prediction fulfilled before our eyes. New atheists have an issue with the Bible: it must be obliterated along with the knowledge of God and Jesus. The Psalm gives God’s reaction. He laughs and scoffs at them. 2
- They will refuse to love the truth and so be saved. There is no evidence that will persuade new atheists that the Bible is true and evolution is not true. They refuse to investigate the issue. Yet they claim that they represent rationality and reason. God said through Paul, ‘They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.’ 3 What a tragedy to think that such talented people could miss God’s purpose for their lives, because they refuse to consider the truth about God.
- They will eat the fruit of their ways. The Bible is a book that you don’t read superficially. It must be investigated with the help of the Holy Spirit. That means unbelievers don’t have the Guide (the Holy Spirit) to help them when they read the Bible. Yet they give ‘wise advice,’ that is mostly wrong, about the Bible. The Holy Spirit inspired Solomon to write, ‘Since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the Lord, since they would not accept my advice and spurned my rebuke, they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.’4 Their schemes, according to the Bible, will not lead to God’s eternal new heavens and earth.
- They will be blinded to the gospel. There is absolutely nothing good in the Bible according to the new atheists. To them, the Bible is a delusion of the highest order (while the opposite is true).They are the ones that are deluded: ‘The god of this age [the devil] has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.’ 5
What is our conclusion?
God knows everything. He knows the past, present and future. He gave a book with predictions about the times we live in (as well as through the ages). The New Atheists show us that the Bible was written by people who were inspired by the all knowing Holy Spirit. It is a unique revelation from a holy God who calls all people to join His eternal Kingdom.
- Psalm 2:1-3
- Psalm 2:4
- 2 Thessalonians 2:10b-11
- Proverbs 1:29-31
- 2 Corinthians 4:4
Aspiring atheists regard themselves as rational, logical, intelligent and smart. They are great at bashing the Bible to soothe their consciences. Here are 5 tips on how to do it. They are straight from the mouth of one who once looked for the same loopholes in order to escape the saving hand of the Lord. Fortunately, he discovered the truth.
- Keep to generalities. Never identify the Bible and its history directly. Just make vague references to ‘religion.’ That immediately conveys the idea that the Bible is like all the other religions: each one has its own unique variation, but basically they are the same. This tip is one of the ‘signs’ of rational, logical, intelligent people who deny the Bible. They do not dare to face the possibility that there might be eternal life and they will have to give an account to God of their lives on earth. So they classify all ‘religions’ under one umbrella and claim that they are all false because they all evolved.
- Tell people the Bible wants you to stone your rebellious children. That is sure to get them very excited and against the Bible. P.S. Never tell them that you have to distort Scripture in the worse way possible to come to that conclusion. Just scare people so that they believe they must trash the Bible.
- Never agree that the Biblical history of Israel was written down by reliable eyewitnesses. Instead agree with Richard Dawkins that God’s Book was written by unknown people in unknown deserts. Society must understand the Bible is myth, and there is no connection between the history of the Bible and Israel. That connection is dangerous information, bound to make you doubt the atheistic-God connection. Israel today undergoes persecution (just like the Bible and its followers) because of the connection to God.
- Never discuss the history of Israel’s neighbours in Bible times. The Assyrians, Babylonians, Medo-Persians, Greeks and Romans all feature in the Bible. There is enough evidence of these ancient civilisations in museums and archaeological diggings. However, when it is mentioned in the Bible, remember it is ‘myth.’ Outside the Bible it is fact, but inside the Bible it is fairy tales.
- Insinuate that ‘religion’ is against ‘science.’ This is a winner, but in this context ‘science’ does not mean real, operational science, but evolution. It is a scare tactic that works beautifully on Bible believers. They back off, because they think they are opposing the ‘science’ that gave us electricity, computers, cellphones, modern medicine, et cetera. Don’t mention that to believe evolution, one has to become an operational science denier, since real science gives no evidence that evolution is true. Nevertheless people buy the lie.
When you analyse the arguments of atheists, these tips are recurring themes. It gets boring after a while, but they still catch the unwary. We live in the midst of a concentrated assault on the truth of the Bible. So the advice in 1 Peter 5:8 is excellent, ‘Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.’ This verse should be diligently applied by people who have the hope of eternal life with God, based on their belief in the Bible.