We live in a society filled with the ‘science’ of evolution. Charles Darwin, the ‘father’ of evolution, sent the message into the world that there is no Creator, because everything just evolved naturally.
It would be interesting to know how many books, lectures, time, money, scientific experiments and research is done to disprove Genesis 1:1, ‘In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.’ These words display the authority of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The creation establishes Him as the Owner, the One who commanded and it was created.
The first chapter in the Bible is all about the six days of creation. It is a very contentious issue in the Church today. Why does creation in 6 days cause so much debate? It is because:
- It is the foundation of the Bible. If the first verse in the Bible (6 day creation by God) is not true, why should we trust the rest of the Bible?
- The message of the Bible is that God is establishing His eternal Kingdom. He is able to do that because the universe belongs to Him. The creation of the heavens and the earth gave Him the right of ownership.
- Without the account of creation in six days, we would have no reason to believe in miracles. If God is not the Creator, there is no way to explain miracles. If He is, miracles are commonplace in His kingdom. God’s power displayed in creation is the basis of all the other miracles, whether by Him or Jesus (who is the Creator, John 1:3).
- Because of creation, God has the right to make decrees or laws, like ‘the wages of sin is death’, or ‘forgiveness is only through blood.’ That is why atheists and unbelievers are so adamant that God has no right to make laws (according to them He is not the Creator).
- To get rid of God, you have to get rid of Israel. It is mostly in that geographical area that God revealed Himself in history.
- To get rid of the Creator you have to explain how the genetic code evolved without an intelligent programmer. That can never be done, therefore atheism is a mind exercise: they have to believe God doesn’t exist, but there is no evidence that He doesn’t.
- In Revelation 21:1 we read about ‘a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away.’ If God did not create the present heavens and earth, how will He be the Creator of the new heaven and earth? If God did not create in Genesis 1, then Revelation 21 will remain a myth, a dream and a pie in the sky.
- The devil knows the importance of creation. He devotes lots of his time to debunk it, especially through evolution, and lately through the heightened efforts of atheists and unbelievers. The war against the Word of God is raging in our contemporary society with a hostility that is almost unbelievable, considering the ‘civilised’ world we live in.
The Bible stands or falls with creation in six days. Genesis 1 displays the wisdom, intelligence, and omnipotence of the most holy God. The character of the Bible depends on Genesis 1. People, places, times and history all came and come from Genesis 1.
We will discuss what the Bible and science teaches us about this contested issue.
It is said that Stephen Hawking knows more about the universe than almost any other person to ever walk the planet. His accomplishments are legendary. Yet some answers still escape even him.
- When asked by ABC News’ Diane Sawyer which is the biggest mystery he would like solved, he said, ‘I want to know why the universe exists, why there is something greater than nothing.’ 1
- ‘Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking‘ is a Discovery Channel TV mini-series written by him. A problem he raised was, ‘exactly what triggered life here is still a mystery.’ 2
- Stephen Hawking wrote a book with Leonard Mlodinow, The Grand Design, in which it is claimed that ‘because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.’ 3 Laws of nature only come into effect after creation, it cannot create. Another scientist, Lawrence M Krauss, wrote a book ‘Why is there something rather than nothing, A Universe from Nothing.’ The notable evolutionist and well known atheist, Dr Richard Dawkins wrote in the afterword: Krauss believes that nothing is something. 4
So the origin of the universe and life on earth has not yet been solved by science. If Stephen Hawking, with his brilliant brain, and years of study and meditating on it, has not solved it, who will? Yet Hawking claims that science will win (it is no secret that Hawking has no faith in either the Bible or God.): ‘There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works.’ 5
The question Stephen Hawking is asking, has nothing to do with science. Science has to do with what can be observed, and repeatedly tested by experiments. That excludes the origins issue. How can one repeatedly test how the universe came into existence? How can science explain the reason the universe exists? Is it illogical to say it happened by chance? Why would that happen? Is such science logical and rational?
This is one of the issues we want to explore. How irrational is belief in creation by God? Why do people deny it is the truth, but they cannot agree on the basics? The Bible says God created the universe (Genesis 1:14-18). 6 We want to explore what science has revealed about the universe, and what conclusions we can draw from Genesis 1:14-18.
We want to know why the origin of the universe is so fascinating, but for sceptics any other answer than the Bible’s will do.
- http://creation.com/stephen-hawking -aliens.
- Cited by J C Lennox, God and Stephen Hawking, location 120 of 1361 in e-book.
- http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Technology/stephen-hawking-religion-science-win/story?id=10830164, p2
- “And God said, ‘Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth.’ And it was so. God made two great lights – the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.”
Guy P Harrison wrote a book, ’50 Simple Questions for every christian.’
We respect his attitude. His basic civility is demonstrated by the following quotes:
- ‘This book is not an attack on Christian people.’ 1
- ‘My goal is to help Christians gain a better understanding of why, after two thousand years, the majority of the world is still unconvinced by the basic claims of their religion.’ 2
- ‘This book presents a skeptics perspective, the view many Christians never hear.’ 3
- Those looking for a cliched or cartoonish angry atheist attack on crazy Christians will have to keep looking, because they won’t find it here. While I pull no punches in explaining many of the reasons why I and so many others remain unconvinced of Christianity’s claims, I have no interest in scoring debate points or attempting to make myself feel intellectually superior to anyone.’ 4
Despite his good attitude, make no mistake about his intention. It is to make atheists, to convert Bible believers into Bible doubters. He considers faith in the Bible as irrational, illogical and unscientific.
Our research into the Bible and God’s Plan for man lead us to exactly the opposite conclusion. So we present the other side of the coin. To us the Bible is rational, logical and scientific. An example of the kind of strategy that is used against the Bible, is to claim that it has thousands of errors. Seldom does the critic give the list of errors, or mention that there are other opinions.
Dick Wilson studied especially the Old Testament, and knew at least 25 ancient languages and dialects. He concluded,
- ‘I have made it an invariable habit never to accept an objection to a statement of the Old Testament without subjecting it to a most thorough investigation, linguistically and factually.’ 5
- ‘In my conclusion, let me reiterate my conviction that no one knows enough to show that the true text of the Old Testament in its true interpretation is not true.’ 6
We are skeptical of the opinions of skeptics who say they are rational, logical and scientific when they criticise the Bible. We have found that the Bible is a logical, understandable book with a magnificent message, and it has no reason to hide its face in the sand when it comes to science.
- Guy P Harrison, Prometheus Books, 2013, location 110 of 5739, e book.
- Ibid, location 116 of 5739.
- Ibid, location 130 of 5739.
- R D Wilson, A Scientific Investigation of the Old Testament, Moody Press, Chicago, 1959, p 20.
- Ibid, p 13.