If there is one thing most people are aware of, it is the big bang. It expanded or exploded and eventually resulted in the earth with lots of life on it. It is supposed to be a true, verified scientific fact. If you question it, you are against science and progress. God’s version of creation is different. We want to discuss some differences and see what real science tells us about it all.
# People scoff at the Bible’s account of origins.
- The New Testament verse, 2 Peter 3:5, sheds light on the creation of the earth, ‘…they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed, and the earth was formed out of water by water.’ God created the earth first in a ‘strange’ watery way out of water and by water.
- Genesis 1:2 supports it, ‘…and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.’
- Is it so strange that our planet was created in water and out of water? There is water wherever you look on the planet: oceans, rivers and clouds. Even the bodies of plants, animals and people contain large percentages of water. And… so far, it seems as if earth is the only planet with such an abundance of water.
# The contrast between the two creation accounts.
- The Bible’s cool watery creation of the earth is in direct contradiction to the ‘science’ of our day that ‘proved’ that it all began in an extremely hot fiery explosion. ‘The earth is formed out of debris around the solar protoplanetary disc. There is no life. Temperatures are extremely hot, with frequent volcanic activity and hellish environments. The atmosphere is nebular. Possible early oceans or bodies of liquid water.’ 1
- God first created the earth and later the sun, moon and stars. That is contrary to the big bang idea of the universe first and later the earth.
- The Bible also tells us that a Person created with a plan and a purpose. ‘By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding He set the heavens in place; by His knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop dew.’ 2 The world’s version is that it all happened by chance without intelligence, plan or reason involved.
God says He created the earth out of water and by water. If we look at our planet, we are impressed by the amounts of water on earth and how important it is to maintain life. It might just be that the Bible is not as unscientific as the world outside wants us to believe.
- History of the Earth, Wikipedia
- Proverbs 3:19-20
A message we hear all the time is that six creation days and a six thousand year old universe is nonsensical. Many believe it is true, in the place of God’s truthful account. Many claim that six days and six thousand years is a side issue and have nothing to do with salvation. We beg to differ. The six days creation represents God’s power to fulfil the final goal of salvation – a new heaven and earth. The six thousand years tells us we will not wait millions of years for that to happen.
# Salvation through Jesus Christ has two stages.
- To be saved from the kingdom of darkness.
- To live in the Kingdom of Light on the new heaven and earth.
- Jesus’ death on the Cross saved from the kingdom of darkness. God promised, ‘He [Jesus, the seed of the woman] will crush your [Satan, the serpent’s] head.’ 1 Note that it fulfils the first aspect – salvation of our souls.
- The final stage is revealed in the last book of the Bible, “Then I saw in the right hand of Him [God] who sat on the throne a scroll…. And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, ‘Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?”’ 2 They found no one, so John, who witnessed it, ‘…wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.’ 3 Revelation 5:12 tells us that the Lamb was worthy to open the Scroll.
- John cried his heart out because he realised if there was no one to open the Scroll, the saints would never receive their promised inheritance, ‘…a country of their own.’ 4 Scripture teaches, ‘…in keeping with His promise, we are looking forward to a new heaven and earth, the home of righteousness.’ 5
- ‘The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.’ 6 If the devil and his kingdom were destroyed by Jesus on the Cross, we would be living in peace and happiness. We don’t. Besides, it would be grossly unfair to those who lived before the Cross. They had to live under the tyranny of the devil. The fact is that even after the Cross, ‘the whole world is [still] under the control of the evil one.’ 7
- To accomplish the second phase of Jesus’ mission to earth, the devil and his kingdom of darkness must be completely destroyed. That is what the opening of the Scroll is about.
# The Cross and the Scroll means complete salvation.
- The six days tells us God has the power to fulfil His promises.
- The six thousand years tells us God will not let us wait billions of years for our new dwelling. 8
- The Cross leads to salvation and enables us to become part of God’s Family.
- The opening of the Scroll promises God’s Family a dwelling place on the new earth. It will happen soon, not in billions or millions of years, ‘The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon take place.’ 9 ’Soon’ as well as ‘the time is near’10 in the Bible does not refer to billions of years. Who is willing to wait billions of years for the glorious new place to live?
# What does six days and six thousand years have to do with us?
- Jesus said to the centurion and the two blind men before He healed them, ‘According to your faith it will be.’ 11 That means our faith determines our future. We know, ‘Without faith it is impossible to please God.’ 12
- So if a Christian believes in evolution and long ages, will he or she have to wait billions upon billions of years for the new heavens and earth to evolve? That means such a person’s salvation cannot be completed. What will happen if the new heavens and new earth cannot evolve? One cannot deny God’s power in Genesis 1, and then insist He has the power to create a new heaven and earth.
- Will God automatically save those who believe He did not tell the truth in Genesis 1? In our next blog we will discuss what happens when one deletes part of God’s Book, the Holy Scripture.
A six day creation and a six thousand year old earth is part of God’s plan for man. Without it we will never have an eternal new heaven and a new earth. If we believe the universe evolved 13,7 billion, and our planet 4,5 billion years ago, we will have to wait many, many billions of years for the new heaven and earth to evolve (if it can).
Six day creation plus a six thousand year old earth is our guarantee that we will live eternally with the Trinity on the new earth.
- Genesis 3:15
- Revelation 5:1-2
- Revelation 5:4
- Hebrews 11:14
- 2 Peter 3:13
- 1 John 3:8
- 1 John 5:19
- Revelation 11:15
- Revelation 1:1
- Revelation 1:3
- Matthew 8:13; 9:29
- Hebrews 11:6
According to the Bible the earth was created more or less 4,000 years before Jesus’ arrival on earth (He was born around 4 BC and crucified around 30 AD). According to the world, the earth is about 4,5 billion years old. We have seen that neither radioactive dating (Did science prove Jesus wrong on the age of the earth?) nor carbon-14 dating (Are diamonds Darwin’s best friend?) support an old earth. In this blog we want to look at the earth’s loss of magnetism and the receding of the moon.
# The magnetism of the earth declines.
It has been proven that the magnetism of the earth declines steadily.
- In 1970 Dr Thomas Barnes noted that measurements show that the earth’s magnetic field has decayed at 5% per century. 1,2,3
- Archaeological measurements showed that the magnetic field was 40% stronger in AD 1000 than it is now. 4
- Dr Barnes calculated that the current could not have decayed for more than 10,000 years. Otherwise the starting point would have been so strong it would have melted the earth. 5
# The moon moves away from the earth.
It is an established fact that the moon moves away from the earth at about 4 cm per year. The reason is that the earth loses angular momentum that must be gained by the moon. So the moon must have been nearer to the earth in the past. Because of the Roche Limit the moon could never have been nearer than 18,400 km from the earth. The earth’s tidal forces that act on the moon would have shattered it. Even if the moon had touched the earth, it would have taken only about 1,37 billion years to reach its present distance. That is far less than the supposed 4,5 billion years age of the earth. 6,7
Concerning the age of the earth, we tend to take the world’s opinion as ‘sacred’ and the Bible’s as ‘wishful’ thinking. We have discussed some physical aspects that do not point to a 4,5 billion years old earth. Somebody is playing fast and loose with the truth. Why? We will discuss whether creation and the age of the earth is a salvation issue, or not?
- McDonald KL, Gunst RH, An Analysis of the earth’s magnetic field from 1835 to 1965, ESSA Technical Report, IER 46 -IER 1 US Government Printing Office, Washington, 1967 cited by J Sarfati, The Greatest Hoax On Earth, Creation Book Publishers, 2010, p 210-214
- Earth’s Magnetic Field is Fading, National Geographic News
- Earth’s Magnetic Field is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now, Kelly Dickerson, July 8, 2014, LiveScience
- Merrill RT, McElhinney, MW, The Earth’s Magnetic Field, Academic Press, London, 1983, p 101-106, cited by Ref 1
- Barnes TG, Foundations of Electricity and Magnetism 3rd Edition, El Paso, Texas, 1977
- Britt Scharringhausen, Ask an Astronomer, Is the Moon moving away from the Earth? July 18, 2015
- J Sarfati, The Genesis Account, Creation Book Publishers, 2015, p 204