Followers of Jesus are confused about Genesis 1. Can they believe what the Holy Spirit inspired Word of God says? Did God create in 6 days or is it some kind of metaphor? Is Genesis 1 relevant? Is it necessary to believe its literal meaning?
If God created the heavens and earth, He is the Owner. In the world system an owner can do with his property whatever he likes. Does the Bible show us that God acts as the Owner who has a purpose for His creation?
# God, the Owner, in Genesis 2?
- God created Eden and put Adam there. Because He made Adam, He had the authority to tell him what to do. He gave him a command not to eat of a certain tree. Where did the Tree of Life and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil come from? God created them. He did it with a plan and a purpose in mind.
- Adam and Eve were not robots. They were made in God’s image with a free will. Therefore God gave them a choice to test them. Their decision had a consequence: life or death.
# God, the Owner, in Genesis 3?
- Adam and Eve chose to disobey God and obey that ancient serpent, the devil or Satan. 1 With their choice they gave their God-given authority over to the one they obeyed. 2
- Since then the evil one is the ruler of this world. 3 Their disobedience brought sin, suffering and death into our lives.
- Yet as Owner and Boss, God made a promise of restoration. The Seed of the woman (Jesus) will crush the head of the serpent, the devil, the enemy of God. 4
# God, the Owner, right through the Bible.
All through the Bible, Old and New Testament, God is in command. He helps, saves, changes lives, prepares for eternal destinations, et cetera. There is never any question about who is the Lord. It is the Creator God (with ‘God’ we mean the Trinity of the Bible).
Why are so many ‘Christians’ reluctant to accept the clear message of Genesis 1:1, ‘In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth [in 6 days]?’ God’s position as supernatural Creator gives Him the authority to forgive, help, answer, make promises and create a new heaven and earth for His chosen, called, faithful followers to live on eternally.
- Revelation 12:9
- Romans 6:16
- 1 John 5:19b
- Genesis 3:15
There is a massive ‘industry’ to defend Darwinian evolution, even from inside the Church. Despite the fact that there is no solid scientific proof for Darwinian evolution, some ‘Christians’ still insist it is true. The problem is, one has to be consistent in the exegesis of Scripture. Let us look at two very specific verses, Romans 1:20 and Ephesians 2:10.
# Romans 1:20
- ‘For since the creation of the the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without any excuse.’
- The word used is ‘workmanship’ or ‘handiwork.’ Creation is the handiwork of God. This specific word ‘handiwork’ is found only in one other place in the New Testament, in Ephesians 2:10.
# Ephesians 2:10
‘For we are God’s workmanship [handiwork], created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.’ That means the ‘creation’ of new creatures in Jesus, is also the handiwork of God.
# God created two separate ‘things’
- God created the universe through Jesus ‘…and through whom [Jesus] He [God] made the universe….’ 1
- God also created His children to be new ‘creations’ in Christ Jesus, ‘…if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!’ 2
# Romans 1:20 and Ephesians 2:10 are related.
Because the New Testament uses ‘handiwork’ or ‘workmanship’ only in these two verses, there is a relationship between them. Both testify to God’s creative ability. The one is physical and visible, the other one spiritual and invisible. Yet both are real: they demonstrate God’s, ‘eternal power and divine nature.’
# They stand or fall together.
If six day creation is not the handiwork of God, why would the creation of new people in Christ be? This is an example of the ‘domino’ principle in Scripture. When you lose faith in one verse or principle, your faith in the rest of the Bible starts to topple.
Both Ephesians 2:10 and Romans 1:20 are true. God created the universe in six days to be our temporal home. He will renew it to be the eternal home of people who were renewed in their inner being. All this is due to God’s power!
- Hebrews 1:2
- 2 Corinthians 5:17
A person who denies Genesis 1 has to prove how complex living machines evolved.
If we listen to evolutionary propaganda, it is clear that they scoff at anyone who dares to believe living things were created in twenty-four hour days. Those bright scoffers cannot understand how people can believe the Bible’s ‘nonsense.’ Well, here is a challenge to those who scoff at the Genesis 1 account.
# All living things have a tiny motor in their cells.
- Plants, birds, fish, reptiles, land animals and humans (created on day 3,5,6 of the creation week) are dependent on the ATP synthase motor in each cell of the body.1,2,3 So every organism has millions of these tiny motors. They are the energy generators of the body and life depends on them.
- If these machines shut down, death ensues very quickly. This was proved in the Second World War when a poison was used to kill people. That poison shut down the production of ATP, and death ensued very quickly.
# The ATP synthase motor
See sketch to understand that it is a real motor.
- You die within an hour when the ATP motor shuts down. Then it had to be designed and built in a very short time for life to exist at all.
- The whole cell functions as a unit. No-one can claim that simple cells evolved first and then later the ATP synthase motor evolved quickly to bring life to the cells.
- If life evolved over millions of years, how and when did the ATP ‘machine’ in the intricately designed factory (the cell) evolve? Nobody has ever answered that.
- We know from present day experience that intricate machines like cell phones or computers don’t evolve on their own. They are designed and created by some-one who had a goal in mind and the intelligence to put it all together.
- Time and chance have never created an intricate motor. Evolutionists imply the ATP synthase motor evolved naturally over millions of years, but they can never prove it scientifically.
# To complicate matters, what about the DNA?
- DNA is necessary for the ‘construction’ and function of the ATP synthase motor. It is another tricky issue how the DNA in each cell evolved slowly on its own?
- DNA is a string of letters that make up the recipe of each life form. To put the DNA letters in a meaningful string so that they send a message to construct an organism, requires someone with purpose and intelligence. 4
- We can compare the genetic ‘letters’ to the letters of the alphabet. They don’t form meaningful sentences and write a novel, spy thriller, or scientific journal on their own. Someone has to plan, design and organize the letters into a meaningful message.
A person who denies Genesis 1 has to prove how complexity evolved. Saying ‘it evolved,’ is not an answer. God still stands tall as the Creator of the heavens and earth in six twenty four hour days.
- Evolution News and Science today, Molecular Machine Menagerie Brightens, February 20, 2017
- J Sarfati, The Greatest Hoax on Earth, Creation Book Publishers, 2010, p 242-244
- JB Reece et al, Campbell Biology, Pearson, 2011, ATP Synthase, p 218-225
- SC Meyer, Signature in the Cell, HarperOne, 2009