In a previous blog, ‘Did Jesus know when creation happened?’ we discussed Jesus’ comment about the ‘beginning.’ According to the Old Testament the earth was created about 6,000 years ago. Logically the world laughs at that. They claim the earth’s age was scientifically determined as 4,5 billion years. So what if radioactive dating (by which the age of the earth was determined) is true and Jesus is wrong?
# The science of radioactive dating
There are certain isotopes of elements that spontaneously decay into other elements (radioactive isotopes). The original ‘parent’ element changes over time into the ‘daughter’ element. The time it takes for this exchange (the half-life) has been determined (it differs for different elements). Scientists can measure the rate of decay of the ‘parent’ into the ‘daughter’ element in a given rock. From that they work out the presumed age of the rock. 1 Let’s look at some problems with radioactive dating:
# Problems with radioisotope decay
- Since nobody was around to measure the amounts of ‘parent’ and ‘daughter’ elements when a rock was formed, no one can be sure about the following:
- Was there no daughter element present at the beginning?
- Did no contamination take place during the decay process that could influence the parent daughter ratio?
- Were there no changes in the decay rate? Decay rates have only been measured for about 100 years. 2
- These problems are said to be overcome by the isochron method, but it also has its problems. 3
# Problems to find the oldest rocks
It was assumed that meteorites that fell on earth were the same age as the earth. Patterson calculated the age of meteorites with radioisotope dating as about 4.55 billion years.4 That is generally accepted as the ‘true’ age of the earth. He assumed that the meteorites were the same age as the earth, but there is no way to know for sure.
# Problems due to assumptions
When rocks with known dates were tested, the results were wrong:
- Mount St Helens erupted in 1980. In 1986 rocks that formed from a new dacite lava dome were dated. With the potassium-argon method the age was determined as approximately 0.35 million years. Constituent minerals yielded ages of up to 2.8 million years. 5
- Five andesite lava flows from Mt Ngauruhoe in New Zealand of 1949, 1954 and 1975 were dated. It gave dates of 0.27-3.5 million years. 6
- Relatively young lava at the border of Uganda, Zaire and Rwanda in East Africa was dated with the rubidium-strontium straight line isochron. The results were 773 million years. 7
# Facts to remember
- For Darwinian evolution to be true, millions and billions of years are necessary. Nothing will be allowed to interfere with the ‘old earth.’
- Darwinian evolution is the modern creation myth. People cling to it because they trust that it protects them from accountability to God. It is so vital to them that the ‘reality’ of Darwinian evolution is non debatable. It is a fact, established, proven, solid science. For this reason no evidence against it will ever be accepted.
- The public doesn’t hear about the problems with radioactive dating. They only hear that the age of the earth, rocks and fossils have been proven scientifically and the earth is billions of years old.
- So, if anyone believes Jesus knew, according to the Old Testament, that the earth was young, be prepared that you will be labeled as an ignoramus or illiterate backwoodsman who wants to take society back to the Dark Ages and undo all the advantages of science.
In the next blog we want to look at carbon-14 dating. Many people think it supports an old age.
- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show on Earth, Bantam Press, 2009, p 91-98
- J Sarfati, The Greatest Hoax on Earth, Creation Book Publishers, 2010, p 186-190; J Morris, The Young Earth, Master Books, 2007, p 48-54; AA Snelling, Earth’s Catastrophic Past, Volume 2, Institute for Creation Research, 2009, p 800-802
- AA Snelling, Earth’s Catastrophic Past, Volume 2, Institute for Creation Research, 2009, p 797-864
- CC Patterson, Age of Meteorites and the Earth, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 1956, 10:230-237, cited by T Walker, Western Culture and the Age of the Earth, Technical Journal 19(2), 2005, p 46-50
- SA Austin, 1996, Excess argon within mineral concentrates from the new dacite lava dome at Mount St. Helens volcano, Creation Ex Nihilo Technical Journal, 10(3); 335-343, cited by AA Snelling, Earth’s Catastrophic Past, Volume 2, Institute for Creation Research, 2009, p 804
- J Sarfati, The Greatest Hoax on Earth, Creation Book Publishers, 2010, p 193
- G Faure, Principles of Isotope Geology, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1986, p 145-147, cited by T Walker, Radioactive Dating Methods, Ways they make the conflicting results tell the same story, Creation 32(4), 2010, P 30,31
The world we live in today generally hates God. It promotes material success, to live for yourself, do whatever pleases you and that you can disregard the Bible because it is full of mistakes.
Yet truth and reality as Jesus revealed it, includes the invisible world and life after death. 2 Corinthians 4:18b says, ‘…what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.’ In this blog we want to show that we don’t need to believe the devil’s lies about God and Scripture.
# God has an enemy.
- Most leaders, kings, presidents and prime ministers throughout history had enemies who tried to topple them and foment unrest.
- God’s enemy is the devil, Satan, that ancient serpent that leads people astray with lies about the Bible, God and His eternal Kingdom. 1
# Scripture reveals Satan’s character.
- Cain was the first human being who belonged to the devil. He refused to listen to God, murdered his brother and went out from the presence of God. 2
- ‘Satan rose up against Israel and incited David….’ 3
- ‘For we wanted to come to you – certainly I, Paul, did, again and again – but Satan stopped us.’ 4
- ‘Those who oppose him [the teacher of the truth] he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil [Satan], who has taken them captive to do his will.’ 5
# Satan’s deceptions in the world
- The devil has mounted a massive propaganda offensive to keep people away from the truth and convince them that God is an illusion.
- He promotes other ‘gods’ like aliens and UFO’s, the church of the Jedi, Zen, alternative ‘spiritualities,’ witchcraft, or whatever.
- He presents an alternative creation account to Genesis 1. It is the ‘creation account’ of the world. It explains that all things came from nothing and go to nothing. Therefore there is nothing to live for since there is nothing after death. What a massive lie!
- The devil encourages the activity of atheists and other groups or organisations to hate a God they have never seen.
What we see in the world shows us that there is an invisible spirit who lies about God and Scripture. People on their own cannot keep a war against the unseen God going for ages. The world shows us what the Bible tells us, ‘As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.’ 6 The many ‘strange’ ideologies that people embrace should strengthen our faith that the Lord and His Revelation, the wonderful Bible, is truth.
- Revelation 12:9
- Genesis 4;1-16; 1 John 3:12
- 1 Chronicles 21:1
- 1 Thessalonians 2:18
- 2 Timothy 2:25-26
- Ephesians 2:1-2
People think the Bible is about religion, but we beg to differ. It is about reality. God is real, His Kingdom is real and what He does has to do with reality. For example, Israel is living proof that the God of the Bible is alive and well and keeps His promises:
# Abraham was the original ancestor of the nation of Israel.
- God called Abraham to move from Haran and go to Canaan, about 1921 BC (nearly 2,000 years before Christ). 1
- God promised the land of Canaan to Abraham’s descendants. ‘To your descendants I will give this land.’ 2
- The history of Abraham’s descendants had many ups and downs. There were two exiles where they were removed from their promised land (first by the Babylonians from 605-586 BC and then by the Romans in 70-136 AD). From then on they were banned from Jerusalem, except for the Passover Feast.
- Then the miracle happened. In 1948 on May 18, ‘for the first time since September 8, A.D. 70, the Holy Land by official Gentile action belonged to the Jews.’ 3 The Jewish state is living proof that God kept His promise to Abraham.
# God would bless all people on earth through Abraham.
‘…and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.’ 4 The promise has to do with Jesus. He was a descendant of Abraham and through Jesus all nations on earth have the potential to be blessed. The followers of Jesus are part of the multitudes who have been blessed through Jesus.
# God promised blessings to Israel’s friends and curses to its enemies.
- God promised that those who curse Abraham’s descendants will be cursed and those who bless them will be blessed. ‘…I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse.’ 5
- Abraham’s descendants, almost like Jesus, are hated without reason. People invent false reasons on which to base their hostility. It all boils down to hatred of God. But God warned people that it is a dangerous exercise to curse Israel, as many do.
# Are the Jews as numerous as the stars in the sky?
- Did God’s promise to Abraham come true that his descendants will be as numerous as the stars in the sky? 6 It doesn’t seem so because Israel is a small nation.
- Yet Galatians 3:7 says, ‘Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham.’ So not only the Jews but also gentile children of God through Jesus, are Abraham’s descendants.
- Jesus told the parable of the rich man and Lazarus to illustrate this. The rich man is in hell after his death (he probably did not prepare for eternity but concentrated only on material wealth). The poor man is in heaven at Abraham’s side. 7
- So Abraham welcomes every person who dies as a believer in Christ, in heaven, as another of his children. There must be multitudes of Abraham’s ‘descendants’ already in heaven with him – as numerous as the stars in the sky.
# Remarkable hatred against God
- The following scene describes the hostility against God, ‘When the thousand years are over [while Satan will be in the Abyss], Satan will be released and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth…. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city He loves.’ 8
- Look at the remarkable fact. For a thousand years the devil will be inactive. The moment he is released, he begins to deceive people to prepare to attack God’s city, Jerusalem. Isn’t it a remarkable proof that he is alive and hates God and His people?
- Incidentally, that is also the devil’s last act of rebellion on this earth, ‘And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into to the lake of burning sulphur.’ 9 Then the devil will inherit his final destination where he will be tormented day and night for ever.
The hatred of the devil and those he influences against God’s people, is an outstanding evidence in real life that there is a God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is alive and well. Israel is living proof of the living God and we can trust Him to fulfil His promises.
- Genesis 12:1-3
- Genesis 15:18
- Willmington’s Guide to the Bible, Dr H L Willmington, Tyndale House Publishers, inc., 1981, p 977
- Genesis 12:3b
- Genesis 12:3a
- Genesis 15:5
- Luke 16:22-23
- Revelation 20:7-9
- Revelation 20:10