The following verses show the attitudes of some of the people at Jesus’ crucifixion,
- ‘The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for false evidence against Jesus so they could put Him to death.’ Matthew 26:59
- ‘The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at Him…. The soldiers also came up and mocked Him.’ Luke 23:35-36
- ‘One of the criminals who hung there [on a cross] hurled insults at Him….’ Luke 23:39
What is interesting is that there have always been people who mock, sneer, hurl insults and find false evidence against Jesus and the Bible since the Crucifixion. Why? Jesus said,
‘….They hated Me without reason.’ John 15:25
What seems to be a good principle is: don’t get upset when the Word of God, and by implication Jesus, is insulted. We, as followers of the Way, should get worried when Jesus and the Bible is not attacked and vilified. The reason is simple: war against the Word is evidence that,
- Satan is alive and fights against Jesus.
- That implies Jesus is real.
- That means our faith can be strengthened. We believe in an indisputable truth — our Lord will one day come and fetch us.
The devil uses people to spread his hatred against Jesus but exactly that affirms the truth of Scripture.