Scripture is the Holy Spirit inspired Word of God with 39 books in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament. These 66 books form a unit where none of the books stands on its own. All are interconnected and together reveal God and His plan for man.
When we understand the big picture that Scripture presents it helps us to navigate Scripture and not get lost in minor details. It also assists us to discern false doctrines because God’s enemy, the devil, is always ready to deceive.
The Bible is framed by creation at the beginning and at the end.
- ‘In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. ‘ Genesis 1:1
- ‘Then I saw a new heaven and an new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.’ Revelation 21:1
God’s goal is to be among His people,
- ‘Then the man and the woman heard the sound of the Lord God as He was walking walking in the garden [of Eden] in the cool of the day…’ Genesis 3:
- ‘Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people and God Himself will be with them and be their God.’ Revelation 21:3
- ‘Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them.’ Exodus 25:8
- ‘I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God and they will be my people.’ 2 Corinthians 6:16b; Leviticus 26:12
For that reason God created man in His image,
‘So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.’ Genesis 1:27
Next blog: God uses Scripture to guide us so that we will be among those who He will live with Him eternally in the New Jerusalem on the New heaven and earth.