God’s City, the New Jerusalem will be a main feature of the coming new heaven and earth. Is there a link between Eden and the New Jerusalem?
- God’s book of Genesis, the Beginning of this age mentions the Garden.
- God’s book of Revelation, the Beginning of the coming age mentions the New Jerusalem.
The Holy Spirit inspired Scripture. We find that,
- The Old Testament explains the Garden of Eden.
- The New Testament explains the New Jerusalem.
There is a similarity between the Garden of Eden and the New Jerusalem:
- In the Garden of Eden God had fellowship with Adam and Eve in a sinless environment.
- In the New Jerusalem God will have fellowship with His people in a sinless environment.
Could that indicate one of the links between the Old and the New Testaments? In Revelation 21:9 an angel shows the apostle John the New Jerusalem. As any city in ancient times, old Jerusalem had walls with gates. The New Jerusalem is the same,
‘It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel [Old Testament].’ Revelation 21:12.
Those walls also had foundations,
‘The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb [New Testament].’ Revelation 21:14
Both the gates and the foundations are part of the wall. So the Old Testament and the New Testament are part of the same eternal wall.
With that information the Holy Spirit reveals, in a subtle way, that both the Old and the New Testaments form part of the ‘City of God.’