According to Scripture, the New Jerusalem will be a cube of about 2,200 kilometers or 1,400 miles. That is massive. The biggest city of our time doesn’t even come close to that. Is it possible? Will there really be a city of that size on the new earth?
The first thing is, can we trust the information about this big city? We can, because of the introduction to the book of Revelation,
‘The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John, who testifies to everything he saw, that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.’ Revelation 1:1-2
Look at the emphasis:
- ‘The revelation of Jesus Christ.’
- ‘God gave Jesus the revelation. ‘
- ‘The angel was sent to John.’
- ‘John testified about the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.‘
One cannot get a more precise definition that God spoke. We can trust the revelation of Jesus to the hilt.
- Look at what He promises His people:
‘Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away.’ Revelation 21:1
- The apostle Peter, inspired by the Holy Spirit, foretold,
‘But in keeping with His promise, we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.’ 2 Peter 3:13
- God is adamant that on this ‘New Earth’ there will be a ‘New Jerusalem,’
‘I saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God….’ Revelation 21:2a
God also has a city on this present earth,
‘…I have chosen Jerusalem for my Name to be there, and I have chosen David to rule my people Israel.’ 2 Chronicles 6:6
There is an interesting parallel,
- As God has a present earth, He will have a future new earth.
- As He has an earthly Jerusalem, so He will have a New Jerusalem.
Question: is a city of that size possible? Why not? If God can create the new world, He can create a massive city. God is not into the ‘small.’ His ‘Garden of Eden’ will be the whole new earth. His future city will accommodate all His people. And the best! We will love our Lord Jesus to bits in His City.