To be a follower of Jesus takes guts. We live in a hostile world ruled by God’s enemy. He and his demons hate God’s people and harass them continually. God is not unaware of it. That is why He gave us a very special message to encourage us and call us to persevere.
That special message is in the book of Revelation. How do we know it is a special book? Look at its unique introduction,
‘The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John, who testifies to everything he saw — that is, the words of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.’ Revelation 1:1-2
It is the only one of the 66 books of the Bible which emphasizes that its origin is from God. The special blessings for those who read and hear it is another unique feature,
‘Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.’ Revelation 1:3
God encourages us to persevere. His plans for His people are wonderful. Listed below are a few of the things that will happen at the end of this age:
- God will completely destroy Satan and his followers. Banished to hell, they will never ever be able to do any harm to God’s people again.
- God’s servants will all be resurrected and live eternally with Him in peace and harmony.
- God’s Son, whom the devil attempted to kill forever, at the Cross, rose again. He is the eternal Lamb who overcame and will sit at the right hand of God on their thrones in the New Jerusalem.
- Great joy awaits God’s people at the Wedding Banquet of the Lamb of God. We will bask in the love of our Bridegroom eternally.
- We will see God’s face daily and love and serve Him.
These are a few of the benefits God will give His people as a reward for their perseverance in the midst of often trying times and circumstances. The book of Revelation is a wonderful book of hope. The Most High gave it to us personally.