Part 4, Is there any physical evidence for a universal flood?
The account of creation in Genesis 1, is conventionally 31 verses. The account of the flood, without chapter 9, is 68 verses. With chapter 9, it is 85 verses.
Why is the flood so important that it takes up so many verses?
The reason is that the world-wide flood in Noah’s time teaches us some very important principles of God’s Kingdom:
- God’s righteousness and judgment. It tells us that we live in God’s moral world. Therefore, at the end of time, all people will have to give an account before God’s Judgement Seat for what we did while we lived on earth.
- God never judges unless there is an ‘escape hatch.’ In that case it was the ark. In our time we can accept Jesus who took our punishment and death sentence upon Himself so that we can escape eternal condemnation.
- God closed the door of the ark when Noah and his family were inside. One day in future God will close the gates of the New Jerusalem, and those outside will remain outside for all eternity.
- God’s purposes will never be thwarted – neither by Satan, nor any of his active co-workers who so stridently war against the Word. The flood was God’s solution to Satan’s strategy to pollute the human bloodline when his angels married women and had children by them (see Satan’s long war against God, Part 3).
An important principle:
Followers of Jesus should not fall into the trap to believe that God will do something as big as the universal flood, and leave no clear evidence for it.
Evidence for the wide-wide flood – plant fossils
- The first evidence we want to discuss is fossilised plants. We know that plants rot fairly fast. A leaf falls on the ground, and with rain and the action of soil bacteria and other factors, it disappears after a short while.
- How do plants fossilise? Plant fossils cannot form over millions of years when sediment covers it thin layer by thin layer. It can only happen with fast burial and pressure to exclude bacterial decomposition.
Fossil plants occurring globally can only be explained by the flood. Fossil plants are one of God’s exhibits that points to the flood.
To be continued…. More physical evidence for the universal flood.