The Bible covers Jesus’ life from before the beginning of creation, right into eternity. As God the Father talked to Jesus and told Him what to say,1 so the Old Testament ‘talked’ to Jesus and told Him what would happen to Him.
# The Old Testament Scriptures reveal the life of Jesus.
- Sometimes we might be inclined to neglect the Old Testament. Yet Jesus, filled with the Holy Spirit, never doubted the truth and accuracy of the Old Testament that predicted His suffering and Resurrection. Think about Isaiah 52:13-15; 53. The last verse of Isaiah 53 sums it up, ‘For He bore the sins of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.’
- When Judas Iscariot led the crowd, sent from the chief priests and the elders, to arrest Him, Jesus said, ’But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?’ 2
# The New Testament Scriptures reveal Jesus as,
The Word of God
- John 1:1-2 explains that Jesus was around before Creation, ‘In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.’ Notice the emphasis that He was with God in the beginning.
- 2 Timothy 1:9 repeats it, ‘This grace [from God] was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time.’ Time began with creation.
- Revelation 19:13 again reveals Jesus as the ‘Word of God.’
The Lamb of God
The Living Word of God is also called the ‘Lamb of God.’ 1 Peter 1:18-19 says, ‘For you know it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ a Lamb without blemish or defect.’ He was our Passover Lamb.
Eternally on His Throne
In the final scene before the ‘billions of years’ commence (not that there will be time then), we see God on His throne with His beloved Son at His right hand also on His throne, ‘…the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city.’ 3
Jesus is the Beginning and the End. Truly miraculous!
- John 12:49
- Matthew 26:54
- Revelation 22:1