In Part 1 and 2, I pondered… if I was forced to leave my home and possessions and could only take one article along, what would it be? Without a doubt, it is my Bible because it is a super special book. Psalm 138:2b says, ‘for You have exalted above all things Your Name and Your Word.’ In this blog I want to continue with the reasons for my decision.
# The Bible has a supernatural Author.
‘You [God] spoke by the Holy Spirit through the mouth of your servant, our father David…’ 1 God spoke through the Holy Spirit to David. Then David wrote down what God wanted him to.
- In this sci-fi age we could say the Bible contains the words of an ‘Extra Terrestrial Highly Intelligent Being.’ It is a unique claim, that an invisible Being, called the Holy Spirit, was behind the different writers.
- Does it mean that the writers were sort of automatons that wrote what was dictated to them? No, they all retained their individual characteristic styles. There is not an adequate human explanation for it. Maybe the best explanation is that it was like the inspiration of Shakespeare or many writers, just on a heavenly level.
- The Bible is a unique book. None like it has ever appeared in history, and none ever will, ‘ …the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times.’ 2
# The Bible explains the opposition of the world
- If the Bible is a supernatural book and not the work of the human writers only, it should have the stamp of God’s authenticity on it, and it has.
- For example, in the Garden of Eden, Satan appeared on the scene. He directly contradicted God’s command to Adam and Eve. God told them, if they ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, ‘THEY WOULD SURELY DIE.’ 3 The devil, in the form of that ancient serpent, told Eve, ‘YOU WILL NOT SURELY DIE’ and she obeyed him instead of God. 4
- That direct opposition to God’s commands, has become embedded in humanity: people increasingly reject, contradict and question Biblical truths.
# The Bible warns us about a final judgement.
- At the end of this age (when earth will have been destroyed by humans, and God takes over), there will be a final judgment. It will be based on our reactions to God’s message in the Bible.
- It means that there should be only one ‘Constitution’ or Law book on which the Court will base its decisions. Whether a person lived in 500 or 2000 AD, the Book remained the same. Otherwise there cannot be justice.
I just love it that the Lord speaks to me personally in Scripture, and of course to my wife and to all who trust Him. What a miracle that the Almighty God will stoop down and speak to us, ‘…have you not read what God said to you….’ 5
- Acts 4:25
- Psalm 12:6
- Genesis 2:16-17
- Revelation 12:9; Genesis 3:4
- Matthew 22:31