Genesis 1:1-2 introduces us to this great King, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, ‘Let there be light.'”
# God created the following on day one:
- The heavens
- The earth
- As we have explained, the light on day one of creation was not natural, but supernatural light. God only created natural light (sun, moon and stars) on day four.
- The heavens, the earth and the light were all created on day one. It is a unit: heavens, earth and the light of the Lord. They go together and stay together.
# God’s light will endure.
- The supernatural light divided day and night. In the age to come, ‘There will be no more night.’ 1 Only light will be there.
- What happened to God’s light in this age we live in? It is still here. Scripture tells us, ‘I [Jesus] am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’ 2 That is why those whose lives have been illuminated by the glorious light of the Lord, will live all eternity in the light of God.
- God’s light truly is miraculous, ’The city [the new Jerusalem] does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.’ 3
# The natural and supernatural as one.
God created both the natural (heavens and earth) and the supernatural (light) on day one. At the end, the natural heavens and earth will be changed into the supernatural heaven and earth. They will be illuminated by the Light of the Lord.
This marvellous introduction teaches us among other things that God’s Kingdom, as revealed in the Bible, will always be a mixture of the natural and the supernatural. When one reads that a natural man (Lazarus) was raised from the dead (a supernatural act), understand that is ‘normal’ to God. There is no need to fret and try different explanations. It is just a fact that God’s work is a combination of the natural and the supernatural.
- Revelation 22:5a
- John 8:12
- Revelation 21:23