As a non American, it is interesting to watch the war against Mr Donald Trump. He can hardly do anything right in the eyes of the left. It even seems as if some churches have forgotten God’s command, ‘I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.’ 1
# What is Mr Trump’s biggest sin?
It was to move the Unites States’ embassy to Jerusalem and acknowledge it as Israel’s capital. So, what is the big deal in that? Why did it cause an almost apocalyptic out roar? The reason is that Jerusalem is God’s city:
- ‘Great is the Lord, and most worthy of praise, in the city of our God, His holy mountain.’ 2
- ‘…Like the utmost heights of Zaphon is Mount Zion, the city of the Great King [God].’ 3 Psalm 48:4 repeats that Jerusalem is the city of God.
- ‘For the Lord has chosen Zion [Jerusalem], He has desired it for His dwelling: This is my resting place for ever and ever; here I will sit enthroned for I have desired it..’ 4
Mr Trump supported what the Bible declares about Jerusalem. It is God’s dwelling place. If so, why all the accusations, complaints and general discontent from especially the left and many Democrats? It has to do with the invisible ruler of this world, the devil. 5 He does not love God or God’s love for Jerusalem. To explain it let’s look at the following:
# Satan’s last act before his eternal sentence will be to attack Jerusalem.
- Some time in the future, before Satan enters his eternal dwelling in the lake of burning sulphur, he will be chained in the Abyss for a thousand years. That is during the time of the Millennium, when Christ will personally rule over the nations, from Jerusalem.
- When Satan is released after the thousand years, he immediately deceives the people and gathers them for battle. Revelation 20:8b-9 records, ‘In number they are like the sand on the seashore. They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city He loves.’
- This is Satan’s last act of treachery, ‘And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulphur.’ 6 From then on his future is only eternal torture in the lake of fire.
- God and Jerusalem are so intimately tied together that on the new earth, we will not have a New Moscow, or a New Washington, but a New Jerusalem.
# God loves Jerusalem and has not forgotten the Jews.
- Many people think that God has forgotten His nation. He has not. The prophet Jeremiah tells in no uncertain terms that Israel will not cease to be a nation before God. 7 Paul writes in Romans 11 about the future restoration of the Israelites. It all has to do with the end times.
- Satan is very well aware of it, and he does not like this prospect, because it means his doom is near. He likes being the ruler and the destroyer of humans. Behind the scenes of the ‘attacks’ against Mr Trump is the hand of Satan. Any leader that in any way advances God’s plan and admits that Jerusalem and therefore the Jews, are important, is the devil’s enemy. That explains the furore against Mr Trump by the left: they are on the side of the enemy of God, the devil. Wittingly or unwittingly, they advance the devil’s agenda, not God’s.
This verse explains what is happening in the world, “The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the Lord and against His Anointed One. ‘Let us break their chains,’ they say, ‘and throw off their fetters.’“ 8 However, in America we have to add, ‘Certain news media and influential people in America gather together against the Lord, and do their best to abuse Mr Trump who recognises the importance of Jerusalem in God’s plan.’
- 1 Timothy 1:1-2
- Psalm 48:1
- Psalm 48:2b
- Psalm 132:13-14
- 1 John 5:19bd
- Revelation 20:10
- Jeremiah 31:35-37
- Psalm 2:1-3