As we wrote before, water, created by God, is essential. In the universe and life, the hydrogen and oxygen in the water molecule is important. For example,
- There is hydrogen and oxygen in the molecules of acetic acid which gives vinegar its sour taste. 1
- Hydrogen is especially important in hydro carbons. 2
- Molecules consist of atoms (which include hydrogen and oxygen) that form organelles, cells, tissues, organs, organ systems and finally the organism. 3
# How did life begin?
If one begins with the assembly of the atoms up to the living organism, the question is, how did it come alive? The origin of life has kept many researchers busy for many years. They pour big money, experience and sophisticated laboratories into this problem. Yet no one has found evidence to prove that lifeless molecules became living organisms.
# Did Richard Dawkins solve the origin of life issue?
No! In his book, The Greatest Show on Earth, The Evidence for Evolution, Bantam Press, 2009, he is silent on proofs for how non-life appeared as life on earth.
# Does Wikipedia have the answer?
They claim the origin of life is a natural process. ‘Abiogenesis, or informally the origin of life is the natural process by which life arises from non-living matter, such as simple organic compounds. The transition from non-living to living entities was not a single event but a gradual process of increasing complexity.’ They give no scientific evidence to prove their statement.
# Does anybody else have the answer?
Carl Zimmer wrote about it in Science: How Darwin envisioned it: In 1871, he [Darwin] outlined the problem in a letter to his friend, botanist Joseph Hooker: “But if (and Oh! what a big if!) we could conceive in some warm little pond, with all sorts of ammonia and phosphoric salts, light, heat, electricity, etc., present, that a protein compound was chemically formed ready to undergo still more complex changes, at the present day such matter would be instantly devoured or absorbed, which would not have been the case before living creatures were formed.” That is speculation, not proven science.
# Does James Tour have an answer?
He is a synthetic chemist who knows what he is talking about.
- ‘Tour has over 640 research publications and over 120 patents, with an H-index = 129 (107 by ISI Web of Science) and i10 index = 538 with total citations over 77,000 (Google Scholar).’ 4
- In Lee Strobel‘s book “The Case For Faith” – the following commentary is attributed to Tour: “I build molecules for a living, I can’t begin to tell you how difficult that job is. I stand in awe of God because of what he has done through his creation. Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” 5
- What does he say about the origin of life? ‘I have written a long article on the origin of life: http://inference-review.com/article/animadversions-of-a-synthetic-chemist. It is clear, chemists and biologists are clueless. I wrote, “Those who think scientists understand the issues of prebiotic chemistry are wholly misinformed. Nobody understands them. Maybe one day we will. But that day is far from today. It would be far more helpful (and hopeful) to expose students to the massive gaps in our understanding. They may find a firmer—and possibly a radically different—scientific theory. The basis upon which we as scientists are relying is so shaky that we must openly state the situation for what it is: it is a mystery.” Note that since the time of my submission of that commentary cited above, articles continue to be published on prebiotic chemistry, so I will link to my short critiques of a few of those newer articles so that the interested reader can get an ongoing synthetic chemist’s assessment of the proposals: http://inference-review.com/article/two-experiments-in-abiogenesis.’ 6
The Genesis 1 account is called a ‘Creation myth.’ Yet if one looks at all the complexity of life, creation needs a super mind, with super powers. The Bible identifies who created life. It is the super wonderful God, the Ruler of the universe.
- Reece et al, Campbell Biology, Pearson, 2011, p 110
- Ibid, p 107
- Ibid, p 50-51
- Cited by Wikipedia, Lee Strobel, 2000, The Case for Christ. p111
- James M Tour Group, Rice University, Updated August 2017