God created the earth out of water by water according to 2 Peter 3:5 (see God’s watery creation and Science agrees with Scripture about our watery planet). That means water is important. It is the ‘molecule that supports all life.’ Our planet is covered with at least 71% water. Cells consist of from 75-95% water. Human bodies contain at least 60% water. Without the water cycle, everything on earth will die.
# Life on our planet depends on water.
- The words, ‘Exquisite Engineering’ describe the Creator God’s creation of water. Logic, common sense and the discoveries of science show the absolute precision and importance of water in nature. Take water away and we are another Mars – cold, barren and lifeless.
- Scripture tells us how important water is, ‘[God] cuts a channel for the torrents of rain, a path for the thunderstorm, to water a land where no man lives, a desert with no one in it, to satisfy a desolate wasteland and make it sprout with grass.’ 1
# Science explains the special properties of water.
‘Four emergent properties of water contribute to earth’s suitability for life.’ 2
- Cohesion. ‘Cohesion due to hydrogen bonding contributes to the transport of water and dissolved nutrients against gravity in plants.’ That means water has the ability to move ‘upwards’ in plants. p 93
- ‘Moderation of temperature by water.’ p 94 Water helps to give the earth, as well as living organisms, moderate temperatures. It is because it takes considerable energy to heat water. So the large amount of surface water balances the earth’s temperature.
- ‘Floating of ice on liquid water.’ p 95 Ice is lighter than water. So when ocean water freezes the ice floats on top. Therefore the fish, whales and other organisms can survive beneath the ice.
- ‘Water is the solvent of life.’ p 96 Life is possible because minerals can dissolve in water and become accessible to plants, salt dissolved in the oceans enable life, et cetera. 2
# Water is even important in eternal life.
- The surprise is that water is not only indispensable for life in God’s first creation, but even important in eternal life. On the new earth there will be no seas, but the river of life will be in the New Jerusalem, ’Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb, down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.’ 3
- Revelation 22:17 says, ’whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.’ (bold added)
Water is vitally important now and for the new heaven and earth. And where does all the water come from? It was created by the eternal King. Glory!
- Job 38:25-27
- Reece et al, Campbell Biology, Pearson, 2011, p 92-100
- Revelation 22:1-2