In the previous blog, ‘God’s watery creation,’ we mentioned 2 Peter 3:5, ‘The earth was formed out of water by water.’ This creation account seems very logical because we know that,
- The earth is the only planet of the 8 in our solar system that has 71% water on its surface.
- Water is essential for life on earth because its special properties are unique.
Surprisingly it looks as if researchers have begun to agree with the Bible, according to the following quotes.
# Quotes from science journals
Initially big bang adherents thought the water on earth came from comets and asteroids. It had many problems, so they had to rethink the issue.
- ‘Instead of arriving later by comet impact, Earth’s waters have likely existed since our planet’s birth. The planet formed as a wet planet with water on the surface.’ 1
- ‘A team of researchers studying the isotopic content of rocks specifically located in Baffin Island, Canada have discovered evidence supporting the idea of Earth having “native water”—water not delivered by comets or asteroids, but here since its formation.’ 2
- ‘We cannot rule out the addition of water to Earth’s surface after its formation (i.e. via comets and asteroids), but our data suggests that Earth had water from the very beginning of its formation, so a large amount of water addition later was not necessarily needed to produce our oceans [Dr. Lydia Hallis, the lead author of the study, told IFLScience].’ 3
- ‘A final clue that the planet’s oceans may have formed very early on is that there is more chlorine on Earth than you would expect.’ 4
- ‘If the Earth’s oceans were formed from water on our own planet, rather than asteroids, that would solve a couple of problems for planetary scientists. One is why Earth seems to have so much water in the first place. Another is why life, which as far as anyone knows requires water, seems to have appeared so quickly once the Earth had a solid surface.’ 5
- ‘The origin of water on Earth, or the reason that there is clearly more liquid water on Earth than on the other rocky planets of the Solar System, is not completely understood. There exist numerous more or less mutually compatible hypotheses as to how water may have accumulated on Earth’s surface over the past 4.5 billion years in sufficient quantity to form oceans.’ 6
- ‘And so, while we can’t say with certainty how water came to Earth, we can say we’re fortunate it did.’ 7
The quotes hint that researchers do not understand the origin of water clearly. Despite that, it is interesting that nearly all the quotes conclude that there was probably liquid water on the earth from the beginning. Logically they will not accept the Bible’s explanation that God created the earth out of water by water. Yet that doesn’t negate the testimony of God’s Word.
- National Geographic, Mystery of Earth’s Water Origin Solved. Andrew Fazekas, October 30, 2014
- A Balzer, On the Origin of Earth’s Water, Owlcation, Desember 21, 2017
- A Carpineti, 12 November 2015, Where did Earth’s Water Come From, IFLScience
- Balz Kamber, Scientifist, March 22, 2017
- J Emspak, Where Did Earth’s Water Come From, Live Science, July 7, 2016
- Wikipedia, Origin of water on earth
- Jonathan Atteberry, Where Does Water Come From, Science.how stuffworks.com