Are we made of stardust?

There are cosmologists and others who teach that we are made of stardust.  By stardust they mean the elements or atoms which are the building blocks of all matter in the universe.  They contend that the elements were and are produced when new stars form.  The problem is that new stars form when existing stars ‘die.’  So where do the original stars come from if they were not created by God?

#  Let’s look at ‘stardust.’

  • The whole universe is made up of elements (atoms).
  • Dmitri Mendeleev helped to organise the mind boggling precision of the elements into the Periodic Table.  Nature consists of 92 naturally occurring elements (some say 94).
  • Of the 92 natural elements, there are some that are essential elements.  Just four elements (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen) make up 96% of living matter.  The other 4% are other elements and include micro-elements in small quantities.1
  • Humans need about 25 elements, but plants only 17.  In rocks we find, among others, oxygen, silicone, aluminium and iron, plus calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium.

#  We have to ponder this miracle of our universe. 

  • Whether its the sun, or soil, or fish, or fungi, or rocks, or water, or plants, or bacteria, or human beings, they are all made up of the building blocks of elements.
  • As we know, there are living and non-living things on earth.  But, to emphasise, they are all made of elements or atoms.
  • The question is, who arranged the molecules in different structures and who created life in lifeless molecules?

 

#  There are two answers to the question:

  • God did it.  The Bible says that the invisible Almighty God purposefully created and arranged the ‘building blocks’ into the air, water, rocks, plants, sun, stars, fish, birds, animals and people.
  • Nature did it.  The elements ordered themselves into diverse rocks, plants, animals, water, air, et cetera, by chance over millions of years.  Stardust became rocks, water, plants, insects, whales, et cetera.

Conclusion

How do we arrive at an answer to the issue?  In the next blog we discuss an important principle we see all around us every day.

References

  1. JB Reece et al, Campbell Biology, Pearson, 2011, p 78

Author: Gerard and Alida

As you can see in the photo, there are two of us. We live and work together 24/7, studying and enjoying our grandchildren. Our passion is to know and understand what will happen after death. Is there a way to provide for and invest in that?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s