We live in a divided world. There are those who reject Scripture as the inspired Word of God. There are those who accept God’s revelation. Yet the Bible believers are also divided. Some believe all 66 books are the product of God (inspired by the Holy Spirit) and some believe certain parts are not inspired.
Scripture is a library of books that tells us all we need to know about the invisible God and His plans. It has never been updated, neither have some chapters or books been declared redundant. It is complete and final – a revelation from God to man about God. 1 Peter 1:24-25 says, ‘All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever.’ Forever! Wonderful!
# What happens when you chop and change God’s Word?
- Various churches and individuals teach that parts of Scripture are ‘wrong.’ For example, creation in six days in Genesis 1; the first couple, Adam and Eve; the talking serpent in Genesis 3; the world-wide flood in Genesis 6-8, et cetera.
- The question: what happens when people begin to delete parts of the Bible?
- The answer: the domino principle.
# The domino principle
- Scripture is a tightly integrated unit of 66 books. They all contribute to the big picture of an invisible God who created a universe, life on planet earth and humans in His image. His plan is to eventually live on a wonderful new earth with the people who accepted His invitation,.
- His revelation, the Bible, is like a puzzle in which all the pieces fit together to complete the big picture. We can liken the books and verses to dominoes that are stacked next to each other.
# The chain reaction of falling dominoes
If some one ‘deletes’ parts of the Bible, it causes a chain reaction. The first domino falls and the rest follow. Let us look at creation by God in six days. If this ‘domino’ is pushed over, it causes a chain reaction of one domino after the other that falls.
- Exodus 20:11, ‘For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them…’ This ‘domino’ affects other dominoes, like all the books that were written by Moses. If Moses was wrong with Genesis 1, who says he told the truth in the rest of Genesis up to Deuteronomy? It also deletes the promise of the Redeemer in Genesis 3:15.
- Deuteronomy 4:32, ‘…from the day God created man on earth….’
- Nehemiah 9:6, ‘You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them….’
- Psalm 33:6, ‘By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of His mouth.’
- Psalm 146:5-6, ‘…whose hope is in the Lord His God, the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea and everything in them.’
- Isaiah 45:18, ‘…He who created the heavens, He is God; He who fashioned and made the earth, He founded it….’
- Jeremiah 32:17, ‘Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm.’
- Jesus referred to the ‘Creator’ and creation more than once. 1
- Acts 17:24, ‘The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth….’
- James 3:9, ‘…[men] have been made in God’s likeness.’
- 2 Peter 3:5, ‘But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.’
- Revelation 10:6, ‘And he [an angel] swore by Him who lives forever and ever, who created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it….’
# The dominoes that fall eventually cause all of Scripture to fall.
No verse or chapter in the Bible stands alone, so if some one ‘deletes’ one, it affects others:
- Jesus’ reference to God as the Creator. If it is not true, then it means we cannot trust Jesus’ words. Then the reports of the four Gospels are wrong. They must be deleted. If you delete the 4 Gospels, all the Epistles and letters based on the four Gospels must go. If Jesus did not talk the truth, all the prophecies in the Old Testament that He would come are invalid. Revelation also has to fall, since Jesus plays an important role in it.
- If Genesis 1 is wrong, then all five books of the Pentateuch are wrong. Subsequent books that build on it like Joshua, Judges, Kings, Chronicles and others all fall.
- If Isaiah and Jeremiah were wrong about God the Creator, we have to delete their writings and their references to historical events.
# The result of falling Bible dominoes (teachings)
We see the results in people who leave the faith, because some ‘theologians’ told them that this or that does not belong in Scripture. Those who leave understand the Falling Domino Principle: if you accept that one part of Scripture is wrong, it starts to erode your faith in the Bible and eventually in God.
The Bible is a closely related ‘package’ of 66 books.
- The option is: believe or reject it. There is no middle way, no grey area.
- The issue is: what is the difference between the person who rejects the Bible and the one who is a Bible surgeon who cuts away what he perceives is detrimental?
- The answer is: nothing!
We celebrate Easter. Remember Genesis 3:15, ‘…the seed of the woman will crush the head of the serpent..’ It became true. Today we celebrate what God promised almost 6,000 years ago. Glory to God, the Lamb and the Spirit!
1. Matthew 19:4; Mark 13:19