In the previous blog, Did science prove Jesus wrong on the age of the earth?, we concluded that the world laughs at the ‘nonsense’ of a 6,000 year old earth according to the Bible. Yet the ‘scientific’ age of 4,55 billion years for the earth, according to radioactive dating, might not be as correct as people think. Today we want to show that radio carbon-14 (14C) dating also does not prove that the earth is old.
# What is 14C (carbon) dating?
- 14C is a type of carbon that is produced in the upper layers of the troposphere and the stratosphere (upper atmosphere) by thermal neutrons absorbed by nitrogen atoms. The 14C mixes with ‘normal’ 12C (the ‘normal’ carbon 12) as a small percentage. There is one atom of 14C per one trillion atoms of stable carbon (12C). 1
- Both of these carbon forms enter plants and trees through photosynthesis. When herbivores eat the plants, and carnivores eat the herbivores, the two kinds of carbon enter their tissues.
- When a plant or animal dies the 14C begins to decay back to nitrogen-14. This changes the 12C/14C ratio over time. Scientists can measure the ratio of the two types of carbon and determine how long ago the plant or animal lived.
- Researches can only do 14C dating on carbon-based materials like fossils of plants, animals, coal and diamonds (they also use 14C dating in archaeology).
- The half-life of 14C is 5,730 years. It means that after ten half-lives there will be almost no detectable 14C left. Therefore if there is 14C in a specimen it must be younger than 57,300 years. Opinions vary, but the uppermost age that can be determined by 14C dating can’t be more than 70-80,000 years. 2
# Coal and diamonds dated by 14C
- Coal. Coal is the remnants of plant material, supposedly formed from forests that were swamped and became fossilised over millions of years. Researchers decided to test the age of coal. They tested coal samples that were acquired from government researchers in such a way as to minimise contamination.
- The coal samples tested were supposed to be 50-300 million years old. If that was true, there should be no 14C left. The tests were done with the sensitive accelerator mass spectrometer. All the samples tested still contained 14C. 3
- Diamonds. Diamonds formed from carbon, high pressure and high temperatures. They are supposed to be more than 2 billion years old. Because they are so hard, they are impermeable to outside contamination of 14C. All the samples tested still contained 14C. 4
- There should be no Carbon-14 in such ‘old’ specimens. It disproves the billions/millions of years. Does the public hear about these anomalies? Not a chance! They try to keep it under wraps to protect the creation myth of Darwinian evolution over billions of years from contradiction.
- Wikipedia, Carbon-14
- AA Snelling, Earth’s Catastrophic Past, Volume 2, Institute for Creation Research, 2009, p 855-864
- J Baumgardner, 14C Evidence for a recent global flood and a young earth, in L Vardiman, A Snelling, E Chaffin, Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth, Vol II, Institute for Creation Research, El Cajon, CA, 2005, cited by J Sarfati, The Greatest Hoax on Earth, Creation Book Publishers, 2010, p 191,192; J Morris, The Young Earth, Master Books, 2007, p 66; J Morris, The Young Earth, Master Books, 2007, p 66
- J Morris, The Young Earth, Master Books, 2007, p 67