The question is, ’Did Jesus know when creation happened?’ Scripture tells us, He did. From the dates in the Old Testament, Jesus could easily determine when the universe was created: it happened only a few thousand years before He came to earth.
To many followers of Jesus, a young earth cannot be true, because they are convinced that evolution proves that the earth is old, very old. To believe that the earth was created only a few thousand years ago would make them a laughing stock in the eyes of the world. We will discuss the findings of ‘science’ in future blogs. Before that we want to give attention to the following aspects:
# God has a ‘construction project,’ His eternal Kingdom on earth.
- If God used billions of years of evolution to create the heavens and the earth, why don’t humans stretch out their creation projects over many years? Made in the image of God, we often mimic God’s ways. For example when humans select people for a certain work, or construct large projects, we do it according to God’s ways: we plan, design and execute.
- Normally a person who wants to construct some big complex, also plans, designs, and executes it. Does he finalise the plans, dig the foundations and then wait ten years to pour the concrete? Does he then slowly begin to build the walls after about 20 years and put in the conduit for the electricity after about 15 years, et cetera? Then finally, after 60-70 years he finishes the project and the people can move in and use it?
- Maybe there are people out there who do that, but God is not like that. He designed, planned and began to execute His project as He explains in Genesis 1.
- Why would He take 13,7 billion years before He began to gather a Bride for His Son, Jesus the Bridegroom? Jacob worked 7 years for Rachel, but normally when a man loves a woman, he wants to marry her and settle down.
# The Creator message of the Bible is consistent throughout.
If the Bible begins with God the Creator, that is what we should find right through to the end. Interestingly enough that is exactly what we find. God is Creator from Genesis to Revelation. God created the first heavens and earth by His power, and He will create the new heavens and earth by His power. It is a consistent message.
# The concept of truth in the Bible is consistent.
- Jesus asked His Father in John 17: 17, ‘Sanctify them [my disciples] by the truth; your word is truth.’ With that Jesus defined truth as the Word of God. That means He implicated His Father in this whole issue of the truth, ‘…I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father, who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it.’ 1
- Jesus testified, ‘When He, the Spirit of truth [the Holy Spirit] comes, He will guide you into all truth.’ 2 As we know, the Holy Spirit inspired the different writers of both the Old and New Testaments. 3
- God does not lie or change is mind. In Numbers 23:19 we read, ‘God is not a man that He should lie, nor a son of man that He should change His mind….’
- 1 Samuel 15:29 says, ‘He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change His mind; for He is not a man, that He should change His mind.’
- The New Testament reminds us in Hebrews 6:18, ‘…God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie…’
- It is also in Titus 1:2.
- God’s words are trustworthy. When God promised David that one of his descendants (Jesus) would sit on his throne eternally, David said, ‘O Sovereign Lord, you are God! Your words are trustworthy….’ 4
# Truth is important.
God is building His Kingdom with citizens of the highest calibre, people of truth and honesty like His Son and the Holy Spirit. In the last book of the Bible, Revelation. God tells us, ‘…the cowardly, the unbelieving…the idolaters and all liars – their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulphur.’ 5 God requires truth and not lies in His people. That is why He, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the embodiment of truth.
The Bible is our witness that Jesus spoke the truth. He who is Truth will sit on the right side of the Father on His throne in the New Jerusalem, loved and adored by His billions of followers. His followers are those who know He speaks the truth and He cannot lie. Neither can Scripture.
- John 12:49
- John 16:13
- 2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21; 1 Thessalonians 2:13
- 2 Samuel 7:28
- Revelation 21:8