‘Elementary, my dear Watson.’ It was supposedly what Sherlock Holmes said to Watson on how to solve a case. We want to use some of that ‘elementary’ logic to solve the issue of eternal life. Is there, or is there not life after death? Holmes might have explained it to Watson as follows:
# 1 John 5:19b tells us, ‘the whole world is under the control of the evil one.’
- Logically that means he controls the media, advertising, amusements, education, economy, sciences and others. He uses the media, schools, universities, newspapers, theological seminaries, or whatever he can muster to spread his hatred against humanity.
- Since he hates God he uses all avenues at his disposal to foster enmity against the Word of God and God. It happens through the so-called ‘science’ of evolution, teaching institutes, schools, museums, or organisations like National Geographic. They spread the message that the Bible is wrong, for example, in creation in six days, marriage between a man and a woman, preparation for eternal life, man specially created in God’s likeness and not related to apes, the earth a special planet with a special star, the sun.
- He influences thousands of individuals, organisations, media empires and governments to disseminate his antagonism against the Bible, like:
- The Freedom From Religion Foundation, Americans United and many others that are likeminded.
- The National Centre for Science Education, BioLogos, et cetera.
- Theologians at seminaries who do not accept the 66 books of the Bible as God’s Holy Spirit inspired message.
- Individuals like Richard Dawkins who hate God and spend their lives to fight against God and the Bible. There are hundreds of thousands of his clones around the world.
# Why are people offended by the Bible?
- The Bible is an old book. It does not teach subversion against states or condone murder. It warns about the dangers of stealing, adultery, addictions, et cetera. The Bible does not tell its followers to plant bombs, incite violence against minorities, or plan coups against countries.
- Anybody who claims to be a believer in the Bible poses no threat for society or governments. Why isn’t a Bible believer just like the person who believes in UFO’s, in the power of the Jedi, the Church of the Unchurched, or whatever he wants to believe in? Why are so many upset if someone believes in the Bible?
- Why can’t you believe what you want? Off course you can. You can believe in Zeus, or whatever and whoever for that matter, as long as you don’t believe in the Bible or want to tell other people about it.
# The problem is, the Bible is clear about the reality of eternal life.
- The coming life has two destinations, one with God and one with God.’s enemy, the devil. This life is where you choose your eternal destination. Choose now! That is the choice the devil hates, since he knows the person who does not choose Jesus now will suffer eternally with him in hell. He likes that.
- If it was not for this message about eternal life after death, there would be no controversy around the Bible. If Scripture was only about this life, people would ignore it.
‘Elementary, my dear Watson.’ That is the reason for all the attacks against an old, ‘harmless’ book, with a powerful message that will transform the lives of those who believe it. Such a belief leads to eternal life with the Lord God Almighty, His Son, and the Holy Spirit. That is what the devil proves with his unwarranted attacks on the Bible.