Charles Darwin is supposed to have ‘proved scientifically’ that life on earth evolved. He didn’t give attention to the big bang or the origin of our solar system, but concentrated on biological life on earth. It is interesting that he studied theology, but despite God’s claims in Genesis 1, decided to oppose them. What is interesting about it, is the following:
# ”God called the light ‘day,’ and the darkness He called ‘night.'” 1
He also named the ‘sky,’ the ‘land’ and the ‘seas.’ 2 The emphasis is on the word ‘called.’ In the Bible the sovereign who was in control could name a person or thing, or change names. For example:
- The Egyptian Pharaoh who killed king Josiah of Judah changed the name of one of Josiah’s sons, Eliakim, to Jehoiakim and made him king in the place of his father. 3
- In 2 Kings 24:17 the king of Babylon who conquered Jerusalem, put Mattaniah on the throne and changed his name to Zedekiah.
- King Nebuchadnezzar changed the names of Daniel and his three friends when they, as captives, entered his service. 4
When God named the day, night, sky, land and seas He, as Sovereign, claimed ownership of them. God partially transferred that right to Adam when He gave him the command to rule over creation. 5 In Genesis 2:19-20 we read how God brought Adam to the animals He created to name them.
- God let it be known that He is the Sovereign and creation is His. That’s it. Final?
- Well… not that final. God has an enemy who said, ‘I will make myself like the Most High.’ 6 The devil wants to annihilate God’s claim because it induces people to believe in Him.
- Romans 1:20 tells us, ‘For since the creation of the world, God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without any excuse.’
# As is his character, the devil opposes God’s words and actions all the way.
So he devised a deceptive plan to counter God’s claim. It is called evolution. Normally people think that Charles Darwin was the man who explained that evolution is a fact. Not so, even the Greeks hundreds of years before Christ thought it might be true. However, Charles Darwin was the man of the time. Galatians 4:4 says about Jesus, ‘But when the time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman….’ There is a right time, even for the enemies of God. So Darwin published his book with the title shortened to ‘The Origin of Species’ in 1859. It is the world’s counter to God’s claims that He is the Owner and Sovereign of creation.
# Today evolution is the ‘acid’ that erodes faith in God’s Word.
It has even gained a foothold in the Church.
- Why is it important for the devil to deny that the universe is God’s property? If people are sure that God is the sovereign Creator, they might accept God’s invitation to become part of His family. That is not something the devil wants.
- How serious is the issue about the ownership of the universe? Just look around you. Marvel at the billions that are spent to help researchers to prove that first life and then plants, animals, birds and fish evolved; to prove that people evolved from ape-like ancestors. Book after book, giants like National Geographic, and other science journals, films, research papers, et cetera are devoted to try and prove that Darwin had it right to deny that God is the great Creator. Would it get that much attention and funds if it was not vitally important who created and owns the universe?
The issue of the creator of the universe is big. All efforts are employed to deny that the Bible’s account is true as written. We, as followers of Jesus, who know that God does not lie, know that He is the Creator, and we honour Him for His wisdom, understanding and knowledge.
- In Genesis 1:5
- Genesis 1:8,10
- 2 Kings 23:34; 2 Chronicles 36:2-4
- Daniel 1:6,7
- Genesis 1:26,28
- Isaiah 14:14b
One thought on “What did Darwin think about Genesis 1?”