Four classes of books have been produced in the course of history. They are:
1. Human books
These are solely the product of man and have many varied topics. Countless millions of different kinds of books have been written and will still be written. They come and go, age, become updated or irrelevant, become lost, et cetera.
2. God’s Book, Scripture
Only one of its kind has appeared.
- It is a book with God as its Author and man who wrote down the words of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit. That makes it an altogether supernatural book.
- Genesis, the first book, was written about 1,500 BC and the last book, Revelation, before 100 AD.
- It is an altogether amazing book because it is loved by millions and hated by millions.
- It has changed the course of history, and the lives of billions of people the last 2,000 years.
- It is a book that many governments across the ages have tried to destroy. Yet it is still around and still invites peoples and nations to listen to God’s call.
- It reveals things nobody has ever thought of – an eternal God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit who plan an eternal country on the new heaven and earth. And… they invite all who wish to join them.
3. Nature’s books of life
- These are books that you cannot see with the naked eye. But since the development of strong microscopes, scientists discovered these genetic books. It is the DNA, the genetic recipe in the cells of all life forms on earth, like people, animals, birds, insects, plants and grasses.
- The more scientists research the genetic code the more complexity it reveals.
- These books have an intelligent source, but it is not humans. No man wrote them.
- They are a once off event that happened right at the beginning of creation and they are the work of God alone. They were not written on paper, but in the cells of living organisms.
4. God’s Book of Life
This book comes from God alone. No human has anything to do with it. Yet it is about humans and it is important, very important. In it are the names of all those who will be part of the Bride of Christ, the children of the glorious Father. How do we know about this book? Scripture reveals it:
- God and Moses talked about it. When the Israelites made a golden calf and worshipped it while Moses was on the mountain with God, God was very angry. Moses pleaded with God on their behalf. In desperation he said, ‘But now, please forgive their sin – but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written.’ God’s reply was, ‘Whoever has sinned against me I blot out of my book.…’ 1
- Malachi mentions it. The people complained that those who challenge God escape and the arrogant are called ‘blessed.’ “Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of His remembrance was written in His presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honoured His name. ‘They will be mine,’ says the Lord Almighty, ‘in the day when I make up my treasured possession.’” 2
- Paul wrote about it. He says in Philippians 4:3: ‘Yes, and I ask you, loyal yoke-fellow, help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the Gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow-workers, whose names are in the book of life.’
- Jesus promised. ‘He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white, for they are worthy. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and His angels.’ 3
# Facts about this specific book of life
- It is a very old book. Revelation 17:8 says, ‘The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished….’ So God has been compiling His book since the creation of the world. That makes it the oldest book of all times.
- It is an important book. And how important it is! One shudders about the implications of this specific book, ‘If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.’ 4 But before you deride God as a tyrant, please remember: God never judges without an escape route. For example,
- Before the world wide flood in Noah’s time, God told Noah to construct the Ark to escape the watery death. Other people laughed at Noah and his family instead of entering the ark.
- Jesus is our Ark to save us from eternal punishment. He didn’t exclude anybody when He shed His blood on the Cross. The wages of sin is death, but Jesus paid the death penalty for all people. Yet if a person rejects Jesus’ death on his behalf and wants to pay the death penalty him – or herself, God is powerless to do anything about it.
# The devil’s war against the Book
There is a relentless war against God’s Word. It is because the Word of God shows you how to get your name written in God’s Book. The strategy of the devil is to get a person to sin. That is what God said to Moses, ”Whoever has sinned against me I blot out of my book….’ 5 Sin is easy to define:
- In Genesis 2:16-17 God commanded Adam, ‘You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.’ If you open your Bible at Genesis 3, you see that opposite God’s words, ‘you will surely die,’ the serpent tells Eve, ‘You will not surely die.’ (bold ours) He told her precisely the opposite of what God said. She had a free will and could choose whom to obey. When she disobeyed God and obeyed that ancient serpent, the devil or Satan, sin and death came into the world. Therefore, sin = disobedience to God. The devil still uses exactly the same strategy.
- If one wants to know what sin is, the Bible explains it in great detail. So nobody will ever have the privilege to pretend that he doesn’t know what God wants, or what sin is.
- God makes provision for those who do not have a Bible: ‘Indeed, when the Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.’ 6
God is a God of books. His own book of life is the most important. He gave us His other book, Scripture, to make sure our names are written in the book of life, so that we will one day enjoy eternal life with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Exodus 32:32,33
- Malachi 3:14-17
- Revelation 3:5
- Revelation 20:15
- Exodus 32:32,33
- Romans 2:14,15