How would you explain what the Bible is to someone who has never heard of the Bible, or who was fed anti-Bible propaganda by the secular media? It is still the privilege of believers, guided by the Holy Spirit, to testify about the Kingdom of God. It is only God’s Word, the Holy Bible that makes the difference between eternal life and death.
When I became a follower of Jesus in 1976, they told me to get a Bible and read it. Despite some rudimentary teachings, I had to figure out what it was all about by myself. After 42 years of study and meditation on God’s wonderful gift to us, and with the help of the Holy Spirit, we want to write a booklet to help people get a good idea of Scripture. The return of Jesus is much nearer and time is precious, so we want to go for short and easy to read. Some aspects we want to cover:
A. The Bible is the only one of its kind.
It is the only book of its kind that was ever written in history. There is no book like it, and there never will be, because,
- All we know about God, creation and the eternal Kingdom comes from the Bible. That means the Bible is extremely valuable since it is the only book that reveals the invisible God. It is a single edition book. It had no updates, no revisions and nothing is ever changed.
- This Book is so important that there have been concerted efforts to destroy it since the time of the Roman Empire. Governments have spent billions to get rid of the physical Bible and/or to undermine and destroy faith in its message.
- The Communist efforts to rid their countries of churches, pastors and Bibles must have cost billions. Why such expenditure? Does the Bible teach followers of Jesus to bomb government buildings, to assassinate leaders, to organise coups? No, none of it, yet even today we read about the persecution of Christians in China and North Korea.
- The strange aspect of the Bible is that it causes some to love God and others to ridicule Him. Hatred and actions against God’s Book and His followers are normal, but because of better communications, we know more about it. It will never stop since the ruler of this world, the devil, hates God and His followers.
B. The Bible is not that easy to understand.
- Followers of Jesus agree that the Bible is a marvellous, special book. It is unlike any other book ever written in human history. Yet it is not easy to understand, because it consists of different books written by various people (inspired by the Holy Spirit) who lived hundreds of years apart.
- Why did God, who is all-knowing and almighty, not give us a book that is easy to understand – something like, ‘The Idiot’s Guide to Understanding God and His Kingdom?’
- Why didn’t God explain who He is, what He plans to do and how He plans to do it, step by step? No, it was not written in textbook style that begins with A and ends with Z. One can almost call it ‘disorganised.’
- For the person who comes into contact with God’s Word, it might be a bewildering experience. God relies on His children to nourish and feed new believers.
C. Strange aspects of the Bible
It consists of a compendium of 66 books that were written over a period of 1,400 years by around 40 writers who lived in different times (Genesis dates to around 1,500 BC and the last book, Revelation, before 70 AD). And… it makes mind boggling statements like:
- God spoke the universe into existence in six ordinary 24 hour days.
- An ax head floated and a person walked on water – scientifically impossible. People know it can’t happen. Why do we know it is the truth?
- A few loaves and fish were multiplied to feed thousands.
- God is ‘a Three-in-One’ King.
- A brilliant light, fire, four living creatures, wheels that move in many directions (the book of the prophet Ezekiel).
- They nailed the King of the Jews to a Cross. It was supreme humiliation by the Roman overlords. However, on the third day, His grave was empty. His body was never found.
- Angels blow trumpets, a huge mountain all ablaze falls into the sea and there are strange creatures that look like frogs (in the book of Revelation).
Despite all the seeming problems or questions, the Bible is truth, from A to Z. There are logical explanations for the miracles. Six day creation is a fact. So it is our desire in 2018 (also see 2018 Resolution), to help people along the journey of the narrow road, a road that leads to eternal wealth and health.
But, please, we need the help of our readers. Let us know which aspects about the Bible we should include, what questions people ask, et cetera. Thanks, and a blessed 2018.