As we look at the news, we understand that we live in strange times. It is a time in which leaders are deposed and wars and coups abound. Nations are restless, people riot, things happen at alarming speed, et cetera.
We want to concentrate on one strange aspect of our times.
It concerns a certain book, called the Bible. That book tells us there is an Almighty God.
- Yet the world says that God is a myth (think Richard Dawkins).
- They tell us the Bible is ‘a product of man, not of God’ (think Dan Brown and The DaVinci Code).
- They tell us the writers of the Bible were backwoodsmen who were uneducated and unscientific (think Richard Dawkins again and many of God’s enemies).
- They tell us the Bible is just another book among the religions of the world. Therefore it is of no consequence. We can all do without that Cosmic Tyrant, God (think atheists and other haters of the Bible).
Yet, and here is the anomaly.
- The very first verse in the Bible, Genesis 1:1, says, ‘In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.’ Now, if the Bible is just a book, and God a myth who only gives Christians a crutch, why did a ‘cottage industry’ of magnificent size spring up around this verse?
- This ‘cottage industry’s’ sole intent and purpose is to disprove that verse. It is the ‘evolution industry’ with its massive investment in writers, researchers, laboratories, news media, science journals, education laws, and many others.
- Most people are aware of this massive effort to undo the first verse of the Bible.
The question we want to answer is, what is behind it all?
Who is desperate enough to convince people that:
They are just evolved apes that developed from an unknown ape-like ancestor?
- They have to accept that there is no life after death. They should not even question it. Their genes are those of an evolved animal, so when they die that is also the end of them.
- They don’t have a free will to make the choice the Bible presents. Yet free will is permissible when they decide where to work, what clothes to wear, food to eat, or whatever.
Genesis 1:1 is even offensive in the theological world, the Church.
- Many, many followers of Jesus side with the world and claim that Genesis 1 is nonsense. There is no way that God created in six days. It happened by chance over billions of years.
- The question is why would Christians deny this clear demonstration of God’s omnipotence and wisdom?
Why is Genesis 1:1 so important that there is so much effort to disprove it?
- It is the best proof that there is a ruler over the world who hates God. He is called the deceiver, ‘The great dragon was hurled down – that ancient serpent [Genesis 3:1] called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.’ 1
- Here on earth, the devil and his angels oppose God’s plan. Ephesians 6:12 says, ‘For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, agains the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.’
If God was not powerful enough to create the first universe in 6 days,
- There can be no new heavens and earth, ‘But in keeping with His promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.’ 2
- There is no hope that Revelation 21-22 can be true. Then the Bible’s message of eternal bliss and happiness in God’s presence, is ‘a pie in the sky.’
- There can be no big bang to end this present creation and usher in the new heaven and earth, as described in 2 Peter 3:10, ‘But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.’
- There can be no cosmic catastrophes, as in Revelation 8:6-13. Hail and fire mixed with blood will be hurled on earth, a huge blazing mountain will be thrown into the sea, a blazing star will fall on a third of the rivers and springs of water and a third of the sun, moon and stars will be darkened.
The ruler of this world, the devil, knows God’s power and plans for an eternal Kingdom very well. He lost his opportunity to be part of it. So he wants as many people as possible to follow his disastrous way. To achieve that he attacks the central core of Scripture – God’s omnipotence to create the foundation of what will eventually be the new heavens and earth.
- Revelation 12:9
- 2 Peter 3:13