The Word of God is the Gate to immense treasures in this life and the one to come.
1 Peter 1:3-5 says, ‘Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade – kept in heaven for you….’ To miss that inheritance is the most terrible tragedy that can befall anyone. We learn how to claim our eternal inheritance in the Word of God, the revelation of God’s plan for man. It is a reliable document, but there is a world-wide attempt to sow seeds of distrust in it.
The keys to our inheritance
- The keys to open the way to our inheritance are: wisdom, knowledge and understanding. We call it the ‘small trinity.’
- God used those keys to create: ‘By wisdom God laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding He set the heavens in place; by His knowledge the deeps were divided and the clouds let drop the dew.’ 1
- We need those ‘keys’ in our ‘creation’ process to become new people in Christ.
- But the glue that keeps the small ‘trinity’ together is faith (‘…without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him’ 2).
How to acquire the keys
- ’The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.’ 3
- Thus the command in Proverbs 2:1-6, ‘My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom, and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom and from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.’ Then,
- ‘…wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.’ 4
The Bible calls these 3 keys, a tree of life
- ‘Blessed is the man who gets wisdom, the man who gains understanding for she is more profitable than silver, and yields better returns than gold…. She is a tree of life to those who find her; those who lay hold of her will be blessed.’ 5
- We eat of it here (get knowledge, understanding and wisdom in the Bible) to eventually eat of the real Tree of Life in the New Jerusalem. 6 God banished Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden so that they could not eat of the Tree of Life and live forever in their fallen state. 7
Wisdom preserves life eternally, which money cannot do.
‘Wisdom, like an inheritance, is a good thing and benefits those who see the sun. Wisdom is a shelter, as money is a shelter, but the advantage of knowledge is this: that wisdom preserves the life of its possessor.’ 8
Knowledge, understanding and wisdom, held together by faith, are the 3 keys to the Kingdom. The foundation of these keys is the 66 Holy Spirit inspired books that together form God’s wonderful Holy Book, the Book of all books!
- Proverbs 3:19-20
- Hebrews 11:6
- Proverbs 1:7
- Proverbs 2:10-11
- Proverbs 3:13-18
- Revelation 22:2
- Genesis 3:22-23
- Ecclesiastes 7:11-12