The Bible consists of 66 different ‘documents’ or ‘books.’ If they were inspired by the Holy Spirit they should show an order, logic and continuity. If they don’t, why should we believe they had a common Author, the Holy Spirit?
# Creation, an example of a repeated theme
Let’s test whether the creation account of Genesis 1 is a theme found consistently in Scripture. These are a few examples of the many verses about creation:
- Exodus 20:11, ‘For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them….’
- Nehemiah 9:6, ’You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything….’
- Proverbs 3:19-20, ’By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding He set the heavens in place; by His knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew.’
- Jeremiah 32:17, ’Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.’
- John 1:3, ’Through Him [Jesus] all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made.’
- Colossians 1:16 and Hebrews 1:2 repeat that Jesus is the Creator.
- Revelation 10:6, ’And he [an angel] swore by Him who lives for ever and ever, who created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it….’
- A few other verses are in Psalm 33:6; Psalm146:6; Psalm 148:5; Ecclesiastes 11:5 Mark 13:19; Acts 17:24; 1 Corinthians 8:6; Hebrews 11:3; 2 Peter 3:4 et cetera.
# The pattern is clear throughout Scripture.
God created. If one denies God’s almighty power to create in six days, a big problem surfaces:
- Isaiah 65:17 says, ’Behold I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered….’ It is a prophecy that points to Revelation 21:1, ‘Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.’ A new literal eternal heaven and earth is the hope of the followers of Jesus.
- If someone changes Genesis 1, he/she has to change many other verses in the Bible that have to do with creation. Where does it end? If creation is not true, why is Jesus the Son of God, born of a virgin, resurrected from the dead, ascended to heaven?
God’s omnipotence is displayed in six days creation. That same omnipotence guarantees the new heavens and earth for us. It guarantees Jesus our Savior. It is positively dangerous to tamper with the factual meaning of Scripture.