It is one of the sad facts of life that there is a particular group of people who have been persecuted throughout the ages. It is the Jews. They are the people of God, and for some reason they suffered throughout the ages.
- It is not necessary to dwell on atrocities like the Holocaust and others foisted on them. They are well known facts.
- The Arab nations will rejoice if Israel is annihilated. Yet it is a tiny nation among the wealthy Arabian nations.
- The United Nations also loves to single Israel out for their attacks.
# The reason for it
- They are the people of God so they are singled out for bad treatment. God indicated as much when He said to Abraham, ‘I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you will be cursed.’1 People curse the Jews (persecute them) because the world in general hates God and His people.
- However, there is also another possible reason for this continual persecution. It has to do with Jesus’ trial before Pilate. Pilate wanted to release Jesus, but the people would not consent. When Pilate washed his hands to show that he was innocent of Jesus’ blood, the Jewish people replied, ‘Let His blood be on us and on our children.’ 2
If one looks at it objectively, it is a self-imposed curse on the Jewish nation. Curses can only be broken in the name of Jesus. The Jewish nation as a whole have not yet embraced Jesus as their Savior. It means that specific national curse cannot be broken.
So, the question is, what do we make of it? Could it be that in future, when God restores the Jews, they will embrace Jesus and break the curse?
- Genesis 12:3a
- Matthew 27:25