While the presidential election is not finalised, it is interesting to speculate what kind of president Hillary Clinton will be, if elected.
# There are instructive examples of female leaders in the Bible.
- The book of Judges tells us, ’Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was leading Israel at that time.’ 1
- Athaliah, the wicked wife of the deceased king Jehoram,2 usurped the throne and ruled for 6 years.3
- Jezebel was married to Ahab, king of Israel. 4 Jezebel cared nothing for God, but killed God’s prophets. 5
# What was the outstanding character traits of Jezebel?
- She never gave any indication that she cared for the God of the Israelites. 450 Baal prophets and 400 Asherah prophets ate at her table. 6 She did not spare governmental resources when it came to her ‘religion.’
- She was a scheming, manipulative woman when it came to the law. She used false witnesses to get her husband the vineyard that belonged to Naboth by having him killed. 7
- At Mount Carmel, the real God set Elijah’s sacrifice alight while Jezebel’s prophets accomplished nothing. All her priests were killed. What was her reaction? She threatened to kill Elijah and he fled. 8 Jezebel never accepted the difference between God Almighty and false gods.
# We can summarise Jezebel’s character as follows:
- Truth was not important to her. Her priority was to get what she wanted.
- She killed God’s prophets.
- She fed and cared for her own false prophets at the government’s expense.
# What about Hillary Clinton?
It is difficult to say. In the pre-election phase candidates present what they think will get them elected. What we do know is that:
- There are questions about her honesty.
- As a buddy of Barack she will probably continue with his goals. Barack’s administration began the persecution of followers of Jesus. People who believe in Jesus and the Bible were fired from their jobs. The God instituted family is under great pressure. No criticism of homosexuality, or any gender issues, is allowed.
- She supports abortion. She passes as a Christian, yet there is a clash between the Scriptures and abortion. God said in Jeremiah 7:31, ‘They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire – something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.’ Abortion is eventually nothing else than child sacrifice.
Time will show whose example Hillary Clinton, if elected as president, will follow: Deborah, Athaliah or Jezebel? Deborah was a prophetess who administered God’s justice. Neither Athaliah nor Jezebel cared about the God of the Bible.
- Judges 4:4
- 2 Chronicles 21:6
- 2 Chronicles 22:12, 24:7
- 1Kings 16:31
- 1Kings 18:13
- 1 Kings 18:19
- 1Kings 21:1-16
- 1 Kings 19:1-2